INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

First clear night in Uganda in weeks...

• Thank you received: 155
Finally we had the first clear night here in Uganda in a month, so I went out to test EKOS's Astrometry module, and it worked perfectly. Thanks to all who worked to make that tool work so well. I especially loved how it automatically created a FOV frame on Kstars so I could see how the subject was framed in my camera, which helped me rotate the camera exactly as I wanted it, and make minor adjustments in the framing. I was imaging through a WO Star71 and Canon 6D. I spent the evening just testing various features, focusing, alignment, etc. But since I had to get up for work at 5AM, I didn't stay out past midnight. Shame, because it was brilliantly clear with Orion, and Andromeda high in the sky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 3 months ago #21596

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Glad it worked out for you! Thank you for your support!
6 years 3 months ago #21601

• Thank you received: 76
I can only imagine what the skies are like in Uganda. Must be fantastic.

Once you get comfortable with EKOS and everything is running smoothly you can leave it running and go to bed :-) I do this regularly now and It parks the scope and closes the roof when finished. I even get it to send me an SMS when done.

Derek
6 years 3 months ago #21603

• Thank you received: 155
I can't sleep and leave it unattended, because Kampala gets sudden showers that appear out of nowhere almost every day. Several times a week I go to bed with clear skies and wake up to clear skies, but with the ground all wet from a short downpour.
The skies here are not that great, not like South Africa or Namibia. This is because we are right on the equator (well close at 0.3476° N) and thus the air has higher humidity and more precipitation. Kampala fortunately is higher elevation than the surrounding area and thus cooler - and my house sits on one the highest hills in the city so I escape the fog/smog that sinks into the city by morning. On the plus side - Uganda has only about 10% of it's villages and towns with commercial power - so the skies are certainly dark! Even here in this capitol city of 1.5 million people, the sky is very dark with the Andromeda galaxy easily viable to the naked eye. At campgrounds, the skies are of course much better - but you have to be aware of critters that want to eat you. Also - the climate is pretty much the same all year round.. 60's at night, 70's in the day.

I'm only here for two years, and am planning on sinking a pier in the yard and leave my mount out wrapped in plastic. So once I get a good polar alignment I can leave it! Polar aligning here on the equator is not fun in the field - as neither pole area is visible. But the availability of both Northern and Southern objects is a treat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek
6 years 3 months ago #21604

• Thank you received: 76
Having critters that want to eat you is something I never have to worry about here in Ireland :-) Worst thing that happened me is a hedgehog scaring the life out of me one night. They make weird noises and can move pretty fast!!!
6 years 3 months ago #21606

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds