INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Can anyone share Pictures of a RasPi astro setup

• Thank you received: 10
Still in the process of preparing same presentations on KStars, Ekos and INDI I am in need of some pictures of a mobile setup including RasPi or StellarMate, telescope with mount, focuser, etc.
Since until now I only work with a stationary setup in my roll off roof observatory including two PC, two monitors and remote access via ethernet this is not exactly representative for a RasPi based mobile setup.:whistle:

So, can anyone share some pictures of a mobile setup and allow me to present them first to small astro nerds audience - of course citing the copyright owner.
However, since Jasem asked me to share the presentation once it is translated to English these picture would become public as well.
6 years 3 months ago #21615

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 66
I may have something tomorrow night if I can brave the -18c weather! :-s
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 3 months ago #21617

• Thank you received: 28
Hi MiHell, here is my mobile setup. You can use it for your presentation.

It is 95% complete, still waiting for a timing belt and pully for my home made moonlite clone focuser (all the guts of it are in the grey box under the RPI3). You can see the RPi3 which runs on ubuntu mate 16.04 and indi server (to drive my zwo guider and canon 1100D dslr via wifi to my laptop which runs Ubuntu 16.04LTS kstars/ekos. The heq5 and focuser are connected to the laptop via BT.

The setup is wireless between my laptop and imaging rig!!!! All BT and wifi.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thomas Jäger, Hellriegel
6 years 3 months ago #21620
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 22
hello ,

i hope these images can help, the orion nebula was taken by me via EKOS and stellarmate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Hellriegel
6 years 3 months ago #21621
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 809
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hellriegel
6 years 3 months ago #21624

I am planning to do a presentation to some students at the University of Delaware in January about KStars/Ekos etc. So I could benefit from some photos and other resources as well.
6 years 3 months ago #21625

@ petarm and @turki_alamri,
Thanks for Your immediate replies and pictures.
I included these in an ad hoc joint presentation about the RasPi aimed at an audience that was not familiar with the differences between the RasPi and an Arduino.
I myself took Your pictures as a suggestion for a better and neat cable placement. (Don't dare to show my cable chaos at my stationary mount.) ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Petar Milevski
6 years 3 months ago #21741

rlancaste,
thank You for the pictures of Your highly sophisticated setup, especially the compact "OTA module" as I would like to call it. This is almost exactly what we have been discussing at our last "Astro Stammtisch" just 2 weeks ago! (Annotation: The German word "Stammtisch" usually describes a get-together of (exclusively male) participants gossiping about high level politics with mainly low level contributions having at least one beer to many. However, in our case it is more of a meeting of astro nerds in high spirits with more ideas than digestible within a live time.)

We are still debating about some kind of a compact unified power distribution for a mobile setup including 19V (Laptop), 12V, and 5V rails (maybe worth a new topic).
6 years 3 months ago #21744

Sounds good,

For power distribution, I have a 100 amp hour battery box that I made myself with several cigarette style plugs for equipment. One outlet steps the 12V up to 18V for my mount. Obviously the mount gets plugged into that one. The other plugs are all 12 Volts One goes straight to my SBIG camera A third plug goes to my Dewbuster dew controller, which not only keeps the dew off the guide scope, it also has 12 V power outlets for other equipment. One goes from the Dewbuster to the Moonlite focuser. Another 12 V cord goes from the Dewbuster to my USB hub which accepts 12 volt input. Besides having 7 USB 3 Ports, my hub also has two 5V "power charging" USB plugs, which are really great for powering the Raspberry Pi with a really short USB cord.
6 years 3 months ago #21747

• Thank you received: 28
I run my rpi3 of 12VDC. I just added a 2Amp 12V-5VDC converter with a 5.5mm/2.1mm 12VDC plug. i just connect to my 12VDC power supply or battery. See picture. Everything fits inside the pi box very nicely. Plus i added a push button that rund a python script for fast shutdown. Now my rpi3 is standalone, indiserver starts on power up, Dont have to remote to it.
6 years 3 months ago #21748
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 29
Hi petarm,

Looks great - how did you connect the wires from the 12v/5v power supply to the micro USB port of the Raspberry? (The micro USB port does not seem to be used?)

Best, Helge
6 years 3 months ago #21758

• Thank you received: 29
Just to share my ‘beautyful’ power supply, a converted beauty case...

The left switch is to switch on, the right switch is to combine both batteries (parallel) or keep separate.
6 years 3 months ago #21760
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.812 seconds