INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY5 produces difficult pictures with Raspberry Pi

• Thank you received: 41
Hi :)

I use a Alccd5 CCD (QHY5 chipset), which normally works fine with the indi-qhy driver. As I recognized at installation, it seems to depend on this firmware sourceforge.net/projects/cccd/files/firmware/ . I didn't recognize it before, because I'm using lin_guider as well as KStars...

At my normal computers everything works fine, but at Raspberry Pi I get difficult pictures (see attachment, should be a one second dark) :( Does anyone habe an idea?

Greetings,
Christian
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Christian.
10 years 12 hours ago #1004
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 174
Hi Christian, unfortunately I have no idea what's wrong (my QHY5 does work with my PI, I will check it again), but QHY driver doesn't depend on mentioned package. Peter
10 years 6 hours ago #1006

Checked, it does work with my Pi :-) What version of INDI are you using?
10 years 5 hours ago #1007

Found the firmware problem: The qhy-firmware package for Raspberry Pi uses an outdated udev rules file. My one requires the line
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="16c0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="081a", MODE="0666"
which is listed in the development tree of INDI, but not yet in the versions in packages for Ubuntu PPA and Raspi. The other package (installed it, for lin_guider, not for INDI) also provides firmware for QHY5 and lists my device. So the QHY5 got the firmware anyway.

I will check this tomorrow by adding the line to the udev file on my Raspi. Hope the difficult pictures vanish after this and uninstalling the other firmware package.

EDIT: I use INDI 0.9.8 Raspi package downloaded yesterday from the homepage
Last edit: 10 years 5 hours ago by Christian.
10 years 5 hours ago #1008

I used 99-qhyccd.rules from the svn repo now, still doesn't work :( After installing thies firmware-ccd package it starts working but produces these difficult pictures. Maybe a rebuild for Raspi is required containing the last PID changes?

Btw: Doesn't the udev file require any fxload commands to push the firmware to the device? In package firmware-ccd it is used, but I'm not familiar with udev rules.

Greetings,
Christian
9 years 11 months ago #1011

Christian, INDI QHY driver is independent on firmware-ccd and fxload packages and if you will install them you just make things more complicated.

It seems, that PID 081is added to 99-qhyccd.rules file but not to qhygeneric.cpp. You can fix it yourself (lines 45-53) or wait until I will do it but in both cases you will need to build the driver from the source.

Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christian
9 years 11 months ago #1015

fxload is recommended when you install the whole Raspi packages for INDI. But I installed it for lin_guider, not for INDI, as well as firmware-ccd. There seem to be some interactions between these package and INDI. Makes sense, because both packages provide firmware... I just mentioned it to describe my observations.
I will try it. Thank you for the fast response !

Christian
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Christian.
9 years 11 months ago #1017

The camera works now without the other firmware stuff :) But I still get these difficult "pictures" wioth the Raspberry Pi :( When I use my Notebook (Kubuntu 14.04 with INDI stuff from PPA, everything looks fine. I also use exactly the same cables, USB hub etc.

Other cameras as our Atik 314L and SBIG St2000XM work fine with the Raspberry Pi. Maybe I should rebuild the INDI-related stuff? I also will try with another Raspberry Pi. I hope there is no problem with my QHY5 and Raspberry Pi (any Hardware-related issue).

Greetings,
Christian
9 years 11 months ago #1029

Christian, there are other cameras that doesn't work reliable with Raspberry (e.g. Atik Titan). I don't think that rebuilding of the rest of INDI will help, it is probably related to I/O throughput or overall performance of this computer, it is simply too slow. Peter
9 years 11 months ago #1030

I'll try it, first my second Raspberry and then the rebuild. Theres nothing to lose and as a software packager I know that a rebuild can do wonders sometime. You said that your QHY5 works fine, could the different QHY5 chipsets be so different that my one doesn't work? I tested without any other connected stuff and had a look at cpu and memory, everything is fine. As I use heatsinks there is also some overclocking potential.

Christian
9 years 11 months ago #1032

Other Raspi didn't solve the problem :( But I made some tests with lin_guider and ccd (sourceforge.net/projects/cccd/), the camera works fine with them. So there is no general problem with Raspi and my QHY5. I think it is a software related problem, since the INDI drivers work fine at Ubuntu maybe something related to Raspbian? I will have a look at it, but not within the next days. It will need some more time.

Some of my ideas:
-Rebuild of INDI stuff
-Build INDI stuff at Debian wheezy & a normal computer to check if there is a problem related to versions, not to Raspbian itself
-Try another OS (like Arch or openSUSE) at Raspi

Christian
9 years 11 months ago #1043

• Thank you received: 10
Hello,
I must confess, I have not read this whole thread, but, please let me point out some potential items. The author of Lin_guider(Galaxy Master) used a different naming scheme for the .hex files than some others. Placement of the software calls is also different. In one case, qhy5.hex is utilized versus QHY5.HEX. The file itself is identical and no difference exists between QHY5 models until the QHY5-II series cameras were produced. Be careful of the symlink calls and the file names or locations.

Hope this helps,

Dan
9 years 11 months ago #1059

Time to create page: 0.785 seconds