INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon DSLR fails exposure over 1 sec?

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

On and off I have lately experienced that my Canon 1000 D fails to expose when set to more than 1 sec. Hitting "preview" trggers countdown in Ekos, but no response or exposure on camera. It is intermittent - it seems that rebooting fixes it. Attached is a log that I hopw contains some info on it. Setup is Stellarmate on R-Pi by the scope, I acess it with laptop via VNC.

Magnus
5 years 6 months ago #29591
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You need to enable INDI+CCD+Capture logging by clicking on the "Logs" button in EKos Main window.
5 years 6 months ago #29592

• Thank you received: 94
Same with 700d.
Log here
Not a big problem if you remember not to hit preview before imaging.
TIA and clear skies,
Steve
5 years 6 months ago #29599

Just tested here with 600D, works fine in all tests I threw at at. Previewing 1 second, 20 seconds, then live view then preview, then 20secs x 5 capture sequence.. not a single issue.

5 years 6 months ago #29601
Attachments:

canon.mp4

Hi!

Yes, it is highly intermittent here. I have so far not been able to see anything systematic in it. I enable the logging as you said, sorry I'd missed that, and will post a log next time I see it.

Magnus
5 years 6 months ago #29607

Check here as well: www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/3811-capture-...-exposure.html#29606

Maybe reading the temperature led to this? I don't know, only way is to test the driver after making the necessary changes.
5 years 6 months ago #29608

Hi!

Tonight it happened again. Started the scope and Kstars, took a 1 sec preview, camera clicks and image downloaded. THen I try Align. Start a 30 sec exposure - no click from camera, error in Indi, and abort after 3 attempts.
Then a new 1 sec preview from Capture module. OK. Click and download of image
Back to Align. 30 sec exposure. Same thing - errors and abort after 3 attempts.

Log file attached. This time hopefully with more useful information.

Magnus
5 years 6 months ago #29639
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 94
Hi
Did you try this ?
HTH
5 years 6 months ago #29640

Hi!

Nope, not yet. Haven't compiled anything myself yet on the Pi... gonna try.

Magnus
5 years 6 months ago #29641

INDI Gphoto v2.5 is out on Nightly, please try it and see if it resolves your issue.
5 years 6 months ago #29745

• Thank you received: 160
I admit I don't really have a clue. However, looking at the logfile reminds me of problems that I had a few weeks ago and that have been discussed thoroughly. I don't know the EOS 1000D but what I see is the 1s exposure works and the 30s does not. When doing the former, the driver searches for a camera option that fits the 1s and finds one. In contrast, when it searches for a camera option that fits the 30s it does not find one and wants to use bulb mode instead.

[2018-09-18T20:28:49.038 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Canon DSLR EOS 1000D 0 : "[DEBUG] Finding optimal exposure setting for 30 seconds in shutterspeed (count=53)... "
[2018-09-18T20:28:49.038 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Canon DSLR EOS 1000D 0 : "[DEBUG] Using internal bulb widget:bulb "
[2018-09-18T20:28:49.038 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Canon DSLR EOS 1000D 0 : "[DEBUG] Setting toggle widget bulb: 1 "
[2018-09-18T20:28:49.039 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Canon DSLR EOS 1000D 0 : "[DEBUG] Failed to set new configuration value (GP result: -1) "

The message "Failed to set new configuration value" indicates to me the option "bulb" has not successfully been activated.

Now, the problem with my camera was that bulb had its own dial position whereas with Jasem's cam "bulb" was just one value within "manual" mode. If the 1000D has a separate "bulb" mode like the 5D has, you could try this for a 30s exposure.

Should that be complete nonsense, please ignore it...
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 6 months ago #29776

Hi!

There is a Manual position and then I turn the wheel until Bulb is choosen. However, it seems that, as you said, after setting 1 sec i fails to set Bulb. I guess it is solved now with the new driver version, will test as soon as possible, probably tomorrow.

Magnus
5 years 6 months ago #29786

Time to create page: 0.297 seconds