INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Avalon mzero Stargo with lx200 protocol

• Thank you received: 53
After another look the mount control is working fine. I did have a long delay before the first move and after that it worked well. Some operator error as well as I was holding down the buttons rather than toggling. I did get a timeout error early on but that may be due to holding down the button.
I see that the Telescope Simulator labels the slew speeds as Max/Find/Center/Guide rather than 1x/2x/3x/4x which is more accurate. Maybe that can be incorporated into the driver. Odd that the lx200_telescope driver does not do this by default.
If I make changes can I submit with a pull request? No issue if you prefer to keep it inhouse for now - just offering to help where I can.
Maybe Jasem can also advise on coding conventions. I tend to overload virtual methods to customize whereas the new driver seems to write a parallel method and invoke it. I prefer get/set terminology to the query... naming used.
5 years 11 months ago #25232

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Ken,
feel free to submit a pull request. Any help is warmly welcome!
Wolfgang
5 years 11 months ago #25243

I've been doing some testing recently while the skies are cloudy. With USB connection it seems quite stable but I then tried the Wifi connection. The driver got itself in a twist when it received a :Z1030 from the mount instead of its expected response. I think this is some sort of notification of LST. Possibly mixed with tracking rate as it also received one :Z1033 as well. I'm guessing the final digit signifies the tracking rate:0=Sidereal, 3=Terrestrial(no tracking)
I'll have a go at handling these if no one else has done that already.
5 years 7 months ago #28380

Hi Ken,
hm, that's a strange state. The first "0" represents the motors state showing that both RA and DEC motor are off. The "3" indicates sidereal tracking and the last digit is the motion speed, where "0" stands for "guide speed" and "3" for "slew speed".

In detail: the three last digits represent the motion status of the mount as :Z1<motorsState><trackingSpeedState><motionSpeed> with the following semantics:
motorsState:
// m = 0 both motors are OFF (no power)
// m = 1 RA motor OFF DEC motor ON
// m = 2 RA motor ON DEC motor OFF
// m = 3 both motors are ON

trackingSpeedState:
// t = 0 no tracking at all
// t = 1 tracking at moon speed
// t = 2 tracking at solar speed
// t = 3 tracking at sidereal speed (stars)

motionSpeed:
// s = 0 GUIDE speed
// s = 1 CENTERING speed
// s = 2 FINDING speed
// s = 3 SLEWING speed

- Wolfgang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken Self
5 years 7 months ago #28387

Do you think this is a notification to the mount or a response to a command? I guessed it was a notification because it appeared in the log between other command/response pairs. Looking at it a bit closer it could be an additional response to a :X3C#
I'll analyse a bit more to see what the pattern is...
5 years 7 months ago #28402

I think I see what’s happening. The X3C gets the Z1nnn response but also the LST as a separate response. On USB this arrives before the next command and gets flushed but on wifi it arrives after the flush. So there should be a flush after the first response is read.
5 years 7 months ago #28405

Right, Z1nnn is the response to the :X3C# command.
5 years 7 months ago #28407

I’ll start by putting in a trace to see what is initiating the LST response then put in an appropriate handler. When done I’ll raise a pull request.
5 years 7 months ago #28425

Have you already turned on logging to file? With debugging turned on for the Avalon driver, you could find the entire LX200 communication in the log file under ~/.local/share/kstars/logs

- Wolfgang
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Wolfgang Reissenberger.
5 years 7 months ago #28432

I had to enable logging from LX200driver as well so now I'm seeing what is happening. All is going ok until :X362# command which receives an additional :Z1nnn response (unless there is an unlogged command sent) and that throws out the rest of the stream. When I was snooping on the USB stream a while back I did see that some of the X36n commands get two responses. I'll see if I can flush the second response
5 years 7 months ago #28451

Made a great deal of progress but it took quite a bit of refactoring. As far as I could tell the issues were related to the commands/responses that went through the LX200driver code. Each time I migrated a function from there to the Stargo driver that command stopped being a problem. Its possibly a problem n the object code and maybe resolvable by rebuilding everything together but the code needed a bit of a cleanup anyway.
Attached are a before and after log. Due to some other problem the lat/lon coords fortuitously do not point to my home.
I haven't yet tested all the functions.
5 years 7 months ago #28475
Attachments:

Sounds good. It would be great if you create a pull request - or simply send me your modifications directly.
5 years 7 months ago #28477

Time to create page: 0.327 seconds