INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Auto-guiding with a SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6

• Thank you received: 420
Ok I pulled the new version from your repo. Not sure if I can test tonight but otherwise tomorrow. Thanks a lot!
6 years 5 months ago #19999

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I was able to give it a try tonight and again, sorry, the calibration for the guiding failed. See the attached log file. Thanks again so very much for your support!
6 years 5 months ago #20003
Attachments:

The log shows you were still using the older version, please update again.
6 years 5 months ago #20007

I updated again and gave it another try. Doing so I discovered a configuration error. The aperture and focal length of the guiding telescope were wrong! So I corrected those and let Ekos guide for about 15 minutes. That went perfectly OK. Sorry to have bothered you with this. For some reason I cannot upload the log file of tonight (probably my crappy internet connection. If youŕe interested in it then please let me know and Iĺl try to upload it again.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
6 years 5 months ago #20012

If everything OK no need for log. Glad it worked out!
6 years 5 months ago #20014

• Thank you received: 2
the direct connection replaces the st-4 cable requirement as the guide commands are sent directly over the usb/serial connection

if you get random disconnects from the mount you need to disconnect the hand controller
6 years 5 months ago #20069

Thanks for the comment Elfe but I am confused now.

Jasem says using the EQMod driver won't affect guiding (i.e. I still need the ST-4 cable) but you say it replaces the ST-4 cable connection. So, do I need the ST-4 cable when guiding over an EQMod connection or not?

Also, how can I disconnect the hand controller when in PC Direct mode (i.e. using the EQMod driver) since the PC connection cable plugs into the hand controller?
6 years 5 months ago #20076

• Thank you received: 32
No, you only need a connection from the guide-cam to a computer, the software on the computer gets the image, decides to issue a correction and then sends that correction to the mount directly via the EQDir cable (using EQmod as a driver). ST4 can be ditched, 1 less cable to worry about. :) I've never touched the hand-controller since I started in astrophotography, 1 less thing that can fail in between. I would advicethe cable with FTDI chipset as drivers for that chipset are updated nicely for all Windows versions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Vincent Groenewold.
6 years 5 months ago #20080

Thanks very much for the explanation! I am on Mac and Linux so I'll need to see if the FTDI chipset cables also work on those platforms. It looks like this one does at least work on Linux:

www.pierro-astro.com/materiel-astronomiq...-orion-sirius_detail
6 years 5 months ago #20082

Works totally fine on all platforms I should've said. ;) I'm also using OSX and Linux mainly, but Windows on occasion as well (whatever works right) and this driver just worked on everything. The other chipset, from Prolific, is a nightmare as they refuse to update the drivers to work well on Windows 10 and you constantly have to get one older version somewhere... brrr.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Vincent Groenewold.
6 years 5 months ago #20086

I currently use a Prolific serial to usb converter cable and it works fine on Linux. However, I have troubles getting it to work on macos Sierra and high Sierra. I ordered the FTDI cable from the link I put in my previous comment. Fingers crossed ;-)
6 years 5 months ago #20087

Let us know, would be another good example. ps, you're from astroforum.nl right? ;)
6 years 5 months ago #20098

Time to create page: 0.390 seconds