INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SkyWatcher mount controlled by StellarMate via Bluetooth

• Thank you received: 11
Hi folks,

I've just got a StellarMate and am trying to control my Skywatcher mount with it. I'm following the instructions from here
which is using the exact same bluetooth module and mount with the same software. It's not working.

Before starting I went through the setup of the mount using the hand controller (date/time/timezone/latitutude/longitude etc etc) and then did a two star alignment. I then unplugged the hand controller and put the BT adapter into the HC port on the mount. I was then able to connect to it from the StellarMate and pair with the bluetooth adapter. The devices gui shows its connected and even transmitting data as well and I then mapped in through to a serial port, the default of /dev/rfcomm0. Everything I thought I would have problems with, I didn't (recognising the BT adapter, pairing, com port mapping).

The screen shots attached are:
- From VNC on the stellarmate showing the bluetooth adapter connected, paired and sending/receiving data
- from EKOS running on my Mac trying to connect to the correct device, but failing for some reason
- profile settings in EKOS showing its using SynScan for the mount type

Does the SynScan HC need to be put into PC pass through or something before disconnecting it from the mount and putting the BT adapter in????

Can anyone help with why this isn't working?

Thanks in advance, Craig
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oleg
5 years 10 months ago #25841
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

There is an immediate problem with INDI control panel as it is showing duplicate drivers. At any rate, this can be done via TeamViewer as I said in my email.
5 years 10 months ago #25845

• Thank you received: 11
Thank you again kind sir!!!

The exact steps were to document this for someone down the track were:
1) Connect to the Stellarmate via VNC so you can setup, pair, attach to serial port the bluetooth adapter
2) double check the BT adapter is plugged into the mount and its lights are on
3) in the bluetooth drop down in Stellarmate, add the device. You'll have to pair it (mine shoestring device has a default of "1234" as the pair string). I checked "trust" and then also did a "map to serial port". You should see this, with data being transferred (the info line on the bottm of a device shows bytes in/out on there) in the Bluetooth -> Devices dialogue
4) In the Stellarmate web interface, make sure "EQMod" is selected as the mount
5) Start INDI

From EKOS
The profile should have EQMOD as the mount type in your profile before you click "Start INDI"

Mount tab in EKOS
I knew this worked because I got the mount button AND I heard like a "click" type of noise from the mount itself as KSTARS/EKOS had now taken it over. I did a test of an object in KSTARS, right click, EQMOD -> Slew..... and off the mount went.

Thank you again for the assistance.

PS If anyone thinks it'd help I could go and post some screen shots on this too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Thomas Seckler
5 years 10 months ago #25856

Great write-up Greg! Screenshots would be highly appreciated if you have the time as it would help others who run into the same issue!
5 years 10 months ago #25857

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds