INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY usb power supply

• Thank you received: 7
Hi all,

Can anybody confirm wether a cooled qhy cam (294 or similar, mono preferably, since it has also to feed the cfw) can be powered directly from a usb3 port of a rpi4? (apart of the dedicated 12v power supply). I'm not sure if I would need a powered hub. I would like not to use it.

Regards
2 years 8 months ago #73657

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by Scott Denning on topic QHY usb power supply

No way can you power a 12v camera over USB.

Maybe you are asking if you can control the camera over USB if you power it with 12v DC? Then the answer is yes, but it's not power being transmitted by the USB. The USB port is for signals, not power.
2 years 8 months ago #73658

Replied by Miguel on topic QHY usb power supply

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply.
I think the camera can be powered over usb. Only the camera itself, not the cooler. In the same way that for example my qhy guide cam only works connected via usb (no cooler stage, of course), In fact I have read that qhy 294 (this is the particular model I am interested in) may work via usb, but it seems can make the rpi unstable, hence my question.

Regards
2 years 8 months ago #73670

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Rafa Barberá on topic QHY usb power supply

Hi Miguel,

Not exactly the same model, but I'm currently running an ASI120MM-S and an ASI533MC from a Raspi4 without using any powered USB hub. Obviously, the cooler for the ASI533MC is running from an external source (in my case, a powerbank with a booster from 5v to 12v)
2 years 8 months ago #73674

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Indeed, I have been told that zwo cams work fine only powered via usb (apart of the cooler power source, of course). It qhy cameras are more demanding
2 years 8 months ago #73675

• Thank you received: 38

Replied by Sonny Cavazos on topic QHY usb power supply

QHY uses the power to also reset the camera, this is if you are doing remote setups, when you power cycle the 12V connection, it resets the camera CPU. Thus that's why the camera does not normally work without the 12V line.
2 years 8 months ago #73698

• Thank you received: 38

Replied by Sonny Cavazos on topic QHY usb power supply

Also if you are using a QHY filter wheel that has a dedicated connector to the QHY camera, it's power comes from the 12V power source.
2 years 8 months ago #73699

sure, I know I need the 12v power supply. My doubt is if the camera works without a powered usb hub
2 years 8 months ago #73702

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by JuergenN on topic QHY usb power supply

Hi Miguel,
I connect my QHY268C directly to the USB3 port of the Raspi 4B. No problems so far. Of course the cooler is connected directly to 12V power supply.

CS

Jürgen
2 years 8 months ago #73703

glad to hear that!! many thanks! do you have more usb devices connected to the rpi? a guide cam for example?
2 years 8 months ago #73704

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by JuergenN on topic QHY usb power supply

Yes, I have connected my focuser (ASI EAF/Pegasus FocusCube), Guidingcam (ASI290mini) dirctly at the Raspi, and via an unpowered USB hub an SSD and the mount (EQ6R). Focuser and guiding cam are connected via the two USB2 ports, the QHY to one of the USB3 and the hub on the other USB3 port.

I use this setup for almost a year with no problems.

P.S.: for completeness: The focuser have to be connected to 12V seperatly, also of course the EQ6R.
2 years 8 months ago #73707

That sounds fantastic, Jürgen. My setup is similar. I currently have the rpi4 with the following devices: an autofocuser (yes, also with an independent power supply), a qhy guide cam, the mount (eq6r pro) and my current dslr, which hopefully would be replaced by the new qhy 294m pro.
Thanks for your help!

m
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Miguel .
2 years 8 months ago #73708

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.761 seconds