INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Logs take up all space. Deleting them did not free up any space

• Thank you received: 0
I recently noticed the space on my Astroberry was running out really fast. I thought it was just because FITS files are big, but as it turns out, there was something else using most of the disk space: the logs.
There were a few logs that were a few GB big EACH (Daemon.log, messages.log etc.). Last week I just deleted those and emptied the trash, which worked.
This week however, I had to do it again, and the log files did not show up in the Trash bin. As a consequence, there was no freed up space available on my Astroberry, and my session was cut short because the system ran out of memory, also crashing PHD2.

I have two questions regarding this issue:
1) How can I get the freed up space back?
2) What is spamming the log files?
2 years 4 months ago #78311

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 21
Hi,

Well, the info what is spamming the logs is in the logs. Start „sudo tail -f <log file>„ to see what‘s going on. Usually logfiles are rotated daily and compressed during that process and kept for a few days.

I am wondering, if these are really the culprit for your space problem. First try should be „sudo apt clean“, which deletes packages from the cache and „sudo apt autoremove“, which removes software that is no longer needed.

How big is your problem really?

Check „sudo df -h“ and use „du -sh *“ to see which directories are the biggest ones. Note that in /home/astroberry you should pay special attention to .local, which usually is not part of the output of above commands.

Note that there are a few graphical tools out there, but I don‘t know, which is default on Raspian/Astroberry (if any). If I had space problems I would not try to install new software…
2 years 4 months ago #78317

• Thank you received: 57
Deleting open file does not free space on unix filesystems. If you want to trim active log use:

cat /dev/null > logfile

It will remove all data but will keep the handles valid and programs connected to logs happy.
2 years 4 months ago #78452

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.459 seconds