INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry WiFi only works with Ethernet plugged in

• Thank you received: 0
Hi guys,

I think I go crazy...
Last year I bought a RPi4 8GB. I got a SD Card with Astroberry and everything worked fine.
Now I got a SSD and downloaded the actual astroberry image from the site. Wrote that image to the SSD and powered on the astroberry.
Everything seems to work fine. The RPI is connected via Ethernet cable to the network and I make updates over SSH..
When I am done, I pull out the ethernet cable and then the WiFi won't work. I can't connect to the astroberry WiFi AP anymore. When I plug back the ethernet cable, I can connect to the astroberry AP.
I didn't changed anything to the WiFi settings. During my attend to solve the problem on my own I changed the priority's value of the connections but that didn't work.

I hope I can upload some pictures to show a bit more of the problem.

Thank you.. to everyone who might help...

Greetings
Felix
2 years 3 days ago #81720

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
If you configured your home wifi network connection, this is normal behavior as it connects to home wifi and hotspot is deactivated. It is active ONLY if no other wifi connection is active.
2 years 1 day ago #81765

Dear Radek,
Thank you for your answere, but I guess I couldn't make my point here. I didn't connect the RPI to the router over WLAN. I changed nothing on the system. The AP just won't show up.
Now I made a fresh new install of astroberry. Downloaded the new image and did the update && upgrade stuff. Even the first dialog where I had to set my keyboard and so on. But the AP is not showing up. I am attaching some pictures of the situation. At the moment the RPI is connected over Ethernet to the router.
I hope that this time I could made my point.

Edit: I guess I should change the topic for this thread, because now the AP won't come up anymore anyhow. It doesn't matter if the ethernet cable is in or not.
I think I will change the priority of the AP settings from -999 to 200 in the evening. Then I will write if I can see him or not.
Last edit: 2 years 3 hours ago by Member of Freunde der Schulastronomie e.V..
2 years 16 hours ago #81789

Ok,
I have a new lead...
I tested the raspberry pi with a raspberian on a SD card, everything works. When I switch the raspberian to a SSD, I get problems with the WiFi. When I put the SSD in the lower usb 3 port. No WiFi works. When I put it in the upper usb3 port, raspberry can find some WiFi AP. But when it should connect, it doesn't work.
So I startet to search for that kind of problem and it seems to be a power problem. I have the official raspberry power supply. (5,1V 3A)

So, next I will try a astroberry on a SD card and test if everything is working.
In the end I want the SSD for better performance.
Does someone have an advice? Maybe a powered usb hub is necessary? Which can be recommended? How should I connect the stuff in the end?

Greetings.
1 year 11 months ago #81844

• Thank you received: 69
Could it be electrical interference from the SSD?
1 year 11 months ago #81867

Hello Jerry,

I just didn't know what to do next and wrapped the SSD with the usb data cable in aluminium foil. It now looks like a Fisch prepared for BBQ.
And what happened..... You are right. Tha Ap Astroberry came back and I was able to log in! Thank you very much for that tip, but I am really confused that this problem isn't coming up so often.
Nevertheless now I can finally implement it in our RC with eq-8 at the club site.
Will test it with a small layer of aluminium foil between the SSD and the rpi. I hope that will be enough.

Greetings
1 year 11 months ago #81913

• Thank you received: 69
You're welcome. I have noticed that my USB gps dongle doesn't pick up a signal if it's too close to my Odroid, so I figured it might be a similar placement issue for your SSD.
Cheers
1 year 11 months ago #81914

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.663 seconds