INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meade DSI for autoguiding with PHD on Astroberry

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

Please forgive a newbie question relating to PHD guiding on Astroberry. I've just swapped my PC-based observatory to an Astroberry to see how stable things are with this solution.

I use a Meade DSI as an autoguider and would like to continue to keep using this for the moment, but there is no option for a DSI under the PHD imaging equipment connect devices. Can someone just point me in the right direction as to how to install the driver here - I can see my DSI under EKOS, but I want to use PHD if possible.

Many thanks

Mark Aston
1 year 9 months ago #83715

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 52
Hi Mark,

You are using PHD or PHD2?
In PHD2, on the 'Connect Equipment' chose INID Camera (DSI CCD) (or close to this string).
This assumes you do have the INDI_DSI_CCD driver loaded, as you mention "I can see my DSI under EKOS"

A quick tutorial
www.amateurastrophotography.com/astrophotography-guiding-p2

Gene
1 year 9 months ago #83734

Hi Gene,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have installed the entire latest Indi library, including indi_dsi_ccd, which is in the ./user/bin directory as default installation for Astroberry.

I’m also using the default install of PHD2 that comes with Astroberry package, but I see no option for DSI under the camera options in PHD2, nor in the Indi option under the same menu.

I’m just confused as to where PHD2 might need to see the dsi driver - it’s obviously not the same as for EKOS.

Any pointer on this for me?

All the best

Mark
1 year 9 months ago #83737

Ah ha!

So, I’ve just worked out that PHD2 needs to be running before EKOS is started and running. I can see the cameras under the Indi option in PHD2 once this sequence of events is rigorously followed.

Unfortunately it has now thrown up another problem - the system is now reporting that the DSI driver is crashing and so won’t start!

I’m assuming the driver for Meade DSI includes DSI1 osc?

If it does, I’m now at a loss what to try next?

All the best

Mark
1 year 9 months ago #83738

• Thank you received: 52
Hi Mark,

Something does not sound correct in your startup.

Indi, via EKOS, should be running with the indi_dsi_ccd loaded and running prior to starting PHD2 Connect.

You can try just launching indiserver with indi_dsi_ccd, no Kstars or Ekos, to get there

Open a terminal window
Then run
/usr/bin/indiserver /usr/bin/indi_dsi_ccd (given the paths you provided above).

Does this error out for you?

Then launch PHD2 and do the Connect.

Unfortunately I am about 1k miles from my astro equipment for the next few days, and I have 3 various flavors of DSI (1 mono, 1 color, 2 mono) to walk it all through.

Gene
1 year 9 months ago #83745

Hi Gene,

Many thanks for this. I came to the same conclusion that something wasn’t quite right so reinstalled Astroberry with the latest version and updates.

It all seems to work fine now and I can see the DSI autoguider. It all appears to work fine now so fingers crossed.

Lesson learned here is to always check for updates and don’t assume everything works as it should all the time!

It’s so good to just have an independent eye point in the right direction, so thank you very much for your help.

All the best

Mark
1 year 9 months ago #83769

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.766 seconds