INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

U-blox7 USB GPS

• Thank you received: 74

Replied by Clive Stachon on topic Astroberry Server

OK I accept some of what you say except I have GPSD running under Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and Indiserver indi_gpsd both locally and remotely without changes to the std GPSD file(s). This is with the Ublox7 USB dongle.

Not criticism's :-) just trying to get to the bottom of the Users problem which should work "out of the box" and learning :-)

On my std Ubuntu Mate 16.04 i find this Points
1. There is no device hard coded into my GPSD default file as I assume with the UBLOX7 the "AUTOUSB" default option, allows for the UBLOX7 to be started at boot or "hotplugged" and the device added. My working file without Ublox7 inserted looks like
# Default settings for the gpsd init script and the hotplug wrapper.

# Start the gpsd daemon automatically at boot time
START_DAEMON="true"

# Use USB hotplugging to add new USB devices automatically to the daemon
USBAUTO="true"

# Devices gpsd should collect to at boot time.
# They need to be read/writeable, either by user gpsd or the group dialout.
DEVICES=""

# Other options you want to pass to gpsd
GPSD_OPTIONS=""

2. The UBLOX7 ,when plugged in,actually defines itself as a ACM device and uses ttyACM0 on my Ubuntu Mate 16 - I have never looked for any udev rules/Daemon etc if they exist. as the Man pages say
"The serial device may be specified to gpsd at startup, or it may be set via a command shipped down a
local control socket (e.g. by a USB hotplug script). Given a GPS device by either means,
gpsd discovers the correct port speed and protocol for it."

So my question is in this case,a UBLOX7, will the hard coded serial not cause a problem ?

3. I do not have any of the PPS/GPSD lines reported into my logs (even if the UBlox7 is not plugged in) but except your reasoning for the difference.

4. I have found that GPSD has a nasty issue with leaving "old" Unix/Linux symbolic links which can cause problems if you use different GPS devices or configurations. Best removed by removing GPSD and Clients then reinstalling.

6. In the end the user has got to provide more real info from logs for anyone to sort his/her problem

I based my finding partly on this thread (ok its for Stretch) www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56023

Oh I forgot to say "Happy New Year" (including many clear skies) to you and everyone else :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Clive Stachon.
5 years 2 months ago #33631
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Astroberry Server

I don't know how gpsd prioritizes hardcoded serial device vs USBAUTO. If the former has precedence, it might cause a problem.

It might be. By just setting GPSD_OPTIONS="" you don't make gpsd daemon to try polling data in the background. These log entries might appear if you try to reach gpsd daemon with a client while GPS device is not connected.

I do appreciate your input. It is of the highest value for users that encounter issues while configuring their system to their needs. I wouldn't be able to handle all possible requests myself.

Happy New Year and clear skies !
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
5 years 2 months ago #33633

"These log entries might appear if you try to reach gpsd daemon with a client while GPS device is not connected." - No they appear even if you just boot and do nothing (with no GPS dongle inserted) !!!! Strange except that -n (lower case) forces a poll ,as I understand it, even if no gps clients exist!

Do you think the user might make progress if he/she did a sudo killall GPSD (still leaves socket.gpsd !!!!) after initial boot ,changes the default GPSD file in /etc to remove (after backing up the file first!) any device names ,if present, and set the added options to just "-N" and then started GPSD from the command line with " gpsd -D7" (or whatever appropriate debug level) so its in foreground. Then start a gps client (gpsc -s or other) in another terminal window. Might get some much needed debug info as I appreciate ,without debug info ,that its trying to find "a needle in a haystack" or "wind in the field" :-) !
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 2 months ago #33639
  • Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Astroberry Server

Instead messing with the daemon configuration I would suggest stopping the service and running gpsd in a foreground (-N) in a terminal window.
5 years 2 months ago #33640

Ok great Then its over to the user (Avocette) to do some debug work :-)

5 years 2 months ago #33653

OK got it working !

I was unable to get GPSD to run from the command line even after stopping all the services ,or disabling the GPSD services and rebooting - Debug saying address already in use. And sure enough although GPSD was not running netstat -t -lnp showed 127.0.0.1 port 2497 listening.

OK so I edited the /etc/default/gpsd to changed autousb to true and removed /dev/ttyS0. Plus also changed the options to include -n -D9. Then ran GPSD -n -D9 /dev/ttyACM0 from command line (dont know why I included -n -D9 again) and then CGPS -S (all lowercase) and bang it showed sats and Lat/Long/Time/Altitude.

Dont think I need to run from command line

Trying a few more things will report

The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
5 years 2 months ago #33658

OK rebooted with gpsd.service enabled

load cgps -c at first no data but moving the Dongle nearer the Window and vertical cgps bursts into life. You do have to wait a couple mins!

Loaded Kstars and with a test profile of Telescope/CCD sim and real GPSD - it works fine see attached proof

Also note CGPS -S looks to die but if you restart data appears again.

*****Warning do not unplug and plug the GPS dongle as this creates another device - so ttyACM1 -- and then causes problems - if Indi crashes its a reboot I think :-( *******

5 years 2 months ago #33663
Attachments:
  • Thank you received: 50

Replied by Avocette on topic Astroberry Server

Hi All - finally got the chance to change /etc/default/gpsd as suggested in #33626. Worked immediately with the time updated and subsequently the precise location was passed to KStars. Many thanks for the extra suggestions and explanations - I'm learning every day! By the way my USB U-blox7 GPS dongle is on the end of a 50mm USB extension piece to avoid crowding out the RPi USB ports.
5 years 2 months ago #33697
Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 2.061 seconds