INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY 5L IIc problem with planetary imaging

• Thank you received: 2
Hi,
I am just trying out astroberry server on a rpi3+. I fail to get the planetary imaging software to work properly:

wxAstrocapture: The camera ist not detected.
PlanetaryImager: The camera is connected. After a few seconds the driver responds Error code -1, the app crashes but remains running as stated at shutdown.

oaCapture lets me connect to the camera. At maximum resolution everything works fine at low frame rate. When I try to change the resolution (to increase the frame rate) the driver crashes, the app does not react any more and after a few seconds the complete system is frozen.

In the end, I am happy with any of the capturing tools - can anybody help?

Thank you

Christian
5 years 2 months ago #33848

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
Hi Christian
Have you tried updating the system with standard sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade?
These software packages depend on linux-firmware package, which provides support to various cameras. I cannot help with QHY because I don't have one. Anybody else using astroberry and QHY?
5 years 2 months ago #33871

• Thank you received: 2
Hallo Radek,
thank you for your reply. I managed to install oaCapture on a stellarmate platform in the meantime. QHY works fine.
Sorry that I will probably not use astroberry then and thank you again for your assistance.

Christian
5 years 2 months ago #33909

• Thank you received: 375
Jasem, anything I should consider including in Astroberry for QHY support?
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
5 years 2 months ago #33910

Radek, not really. There are issues with the SDK itself. However, I am now working on some improvements in all CCD drivers.. let us see how this affects QHY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
5 years 2 months ago #33920

• Thank you received: 27
Hi,
I have about the same problem. I have a ZWO ASI 120mm Mini planetary cam and am also running Astroberry on a Raspberry Pi 3+. I have aslo problems getting my cam detected by wxAstrocapture, oaCapture and PlanetaryImager. None of these seem to be able to detect my camera.
wxAstrocapture does detect something, but fails to connect to the camera. It shows 2 detected camera's, called ZWASI (Error) and ZWASI (...some weird characters...). Connecting to these is not possible.
On the other hand, PHD2 has absolutely no problem at all with my cam, and also kstarts/ekos can handle my cam without problems.

I did update the system to the latest version. I also pulled, build and installed the latest INDI library and INDI-3rdparty library. I even modified the 70-rules-asi file to give the astroberry user permissions to access my cam, but nothing seemed to work.

I was about to debug oaCapture to see what I could find out, but couldn't get QT4 installed yet. And without QT4 oaCapture won't build.
I hope someone at this forum might have some suggestions on how to get the cam working with wxAstrocapture, oaCapture and PlanetaryImager.
4 years 4 months ago #45962

• Thank you received: 27
Recently Astroberry 2.0 was released. In this version of Astroberry on the Raspberry 3B+ the ZWO ASI 120mm Mini camera works perfectly, also in combination with oaCapture. I would advise to update to Astroberry 2.0 to get your ZWO camera working.
Also PHD2 detects the ZWO camera without problems, so everything seems to work fine.
I didn't debug oaCapture with QT4 to figure out what the problem was, but with the new Astroberry version there is no need to do that any more.

I hope this solution will also be of use for other users.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
4 years 4 months ago #46512

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

I have a QHY5LIIC in my inventory of CCD devices. I get the same -1 errors when capturing an image. QHYCCD devices share code between them under INDI when the chipsets are the same. I have the PoleMaster and QHY5LIIC. Under AB1.1, I can get logs showing the dance between INDI and EKOS is off by the difference between answers YES and No, 0 and -1.

Under AB 2.0, INDI devices are explicitly excluded from using DEBUG. As such, I would not recommend going to AB 2.0 with older QHYCCD hardware.

Some fixes I am investigating are separating device types from each other, e.g. motor driver and GPS from CCD devices. I am seeing a disconnect between Solver and INDI. QHY5 successfully gets a image. Solver says, I cannot read this.

This to me says, Solver, Astrometry, and ASTAP have changed file formats. QHYCCD drivers are sending a previous format. Disconnects are the result.

Currently, AstroBerry 2.0 will not permit you to peer into DEBUG. The device driver OPTION DEBUG is disabled. If I could save logs (under DEBUG) I could provide evidence. Screenshots are all I can give.

Recently, PHD2 changed to 2.6.6. His PDF clearly states that QHY5 devices are not supported by his native drivers. This clued me into the file format possibilities. The difference is like between Analog and Digital. Something changed hardware wise to do things differently. Everyone likes the change. Old hardware is antiquated.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by John Robison. Reason: Syntax errors
4 years 4 months ago #46775

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.634 seconds