INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry stability and performance problems

• Thank you received: 0
Please, somebody help me.
I am trying to work with my astroberry but it is not working.
After connecting to the astroberry via Teamviewer when I start KStars it is slowing down. When I am imaging with my ZWO camera usually the moment the images finish downloading it shuts down or the astroberry freezes.
Somehow I am also not able to remote connect with Kstars from my computer.
I know I must be doing something wrong but I can't find the mistake. Also directly connecting to the computer doesn't lead to crashes but the mount control somehow isn't working the way I hoped.

My setup:
EQ Mod Mount (EQ6-R)
ZWO guider (ZWO ASI 120 MC-S)
ZWO camera and filter wheel (ZWO ASI 1600MM Cool)
Raspberry Pi 3B+
Thinkpad W510 running on Ubuntu
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Michael.
5 years 2 months ago #35119

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
Why do you use teamviewer to access astroberry? It is fully accessible over VNC or just a web browser.
What kind of problem do you have with connection from KStars? You need to be more specific so we can help you.

BTW. Please update the topic's name. It is not very descriptive.
5 years 2 months ago #35134

Thank you for your reply. The name has been updated.

Teamviewer works for me. That's the only reason. I know it should be accessible but somehow I am not able to connect. That is why I think I am missing something.

The first thing is really: if I start KStars everything gets slow. I don't really mind at that point but it is weird.
Connecting everything works fine but as soon as I try to start imaging I run into troubles. I can start imaging with my main camera but not while guiding and I can start guiding but than I am not able to start imaging. When the exposure is completed the image is downloaded and as soon as downloading finishes KStars disappears but the INDI connection remains active. I read that the raspberry 3 B+ should have processing power to do the job but I seems to be otherwise.
On the other hand, the laptop has the power needed but I can't connect KStars for remote access. I know it should be easy but I am not able to do so. I have to be missing something but I can't find out what it is. Everything I find on the internet is nice but does not represent KStars in the version I found on the astroberry nor the updated version. I am still fairly new to Ubuntu and my main work still is on windows machines therefore even if I find hints I am not sure if I understand them correctly.

Btw: I would be surprised if it is a power consumption issue since the imaging camera is connected via a powered usb hub and guider, mount connection and usb stick should not consume too much power.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Michael.
5 years 2 months ago #35136

I cannot help you with teamviewer. It has never been tested on this system. I would advice using native remote access with VNC or web browser.
Based on you description I believe it's either low power problem, overheated CPU problem or other hardware issue. Please take a look at this issue on the project page.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
5 years 2 months ago #35138

I'll try again next weekend when I have the next chance but if there is any good tutorial for setting up remote access with VNC or web browser please let me know.

To be honest I would wonder if it was a hot CPU since ambient temperatures have been below 0°C when I used the Pi and I installed the passive radiators. Also I don't have a low voltage warning but I'll have a look into it. I hope that it is Teamviewer interfering.
Thank you for your quick response.
5 years 2 months ago #35141

Just point your web browser to astroberry.local or http://IP - this way you can have a remote desktop in your browser. No need for any software installation.
If you installed passive radiators it is not the overheated CPU. To check low voltage warning you need to connect to a screen with a HDMI cable. Note the yellow lightning in top-right corner of your screen.
What is kind of power adapter do you use?
5 years 2 months ago #35142

I understood that one but astroberry.local is the host name? I changed that one, when I changed the passwords. I couldn't connect with the old or new name or am I mistaking something here?

I got my Berry as a complete kit from Amazon. Similar to the post shown on your site it has a 5 V, 2.5 A PSU. It is the official Raspberry Pi PSU.

It has been a while since I had it connected to a screen so I honestly don't remember but I'll check it as soon as I can.
5 years 2 months ago #35145

So we can exclude low voltage as well ;-)
astroberry.local is the host name so if you changed it obviously it is not the one you should use to access Astroberry over network.
Restart with a fresh image and test it before doing any customization. Otherwise it is really difficult to trace issues down ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael
5 years 2 months ago #35146

I still have a second SD card with an image. I'll check that.
Changing the password, time zone, language and the host name, updating KStars, installing chromium browser, teamviewer and removing firefox were the only modifications I have done.
I'll expected it to be the host name and used the one I changed it to, I'll just want to make sure I didn't miss something.

It will take me a while. So thank you for your help in advance.
5 years 2 months ago #35148

Hi again,
I had a chance to check everything and I can now tell that I was able to connect over the browser even with my modified version. There was a small typo that I didn't see.
Unfortunately, I did not yet have the chance to try out the whole system since I had no clear night but since using the browser and removing teamviewer the speed of my Raspberry and the connection has increased significantly so I have little doubt that control of all my devices will work. What I did not yet see is that with this connection also the INDI Webmanager is easily accessible and Remote controlling the devices is easier than I ever imagined.
You, Sir, are a true genius and I am very glad you put me on the right track.
THANK YOU very much.
5 years 1 month ago #35344

I'm glad it works for you! Clear skies Michael!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael
5 years 1 month ago #35354

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.874 seconds