INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Mount connection issues

• Thank you received: 375
This is correct. You just need to connect the mount directly with Rpi. Any USB-serial converter will do. Just make sure it is 5V compatible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Jeffries
4 years 6 months ago #42914

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic Mount connection issues

He actually needs an EQMOD cable rather than a serial to USB converter and not use the handset at all, but skywatcher mounts do vary in there EQMOD cables, some mounts require 5v and some only 3.3v, I think the EQ6 is only 3.3v...it’s a different EQMOD cable to many of the other mounts because of this and the fact it’s a different Plug on the mount... :)
4 years 6 months ago #42917

Call it whatever you like. Skywatcher interface is technically UART TTL, which is serial interface.
Just take a look at this link eq-mod.sourceforge.net/eqdirect2.htm
You can connect it directly to another serial device and that's all you can do. You cannot connect it to USB. If you want to connect it to USB you need serial to USB converter, which supports UART TTL voltage level.
I don't thing the TTL voltage level varies between Skywatcher mounts. At least you're wrong regarding EQ6, which I use personally. It is TTL 5V. The same for EQ5 and EQ8.
The only difference is the plug on the mounts that is different - either RJ11/45 or DB9.

Could you give me a specific case of other TTL voltages and plugs other than mentioned above. Sources supporting these would be just great.
4 years 6 months ago #43024

Hello,
The only reason I said that the voltages did vary on skywatcher mounts, is that when I bought my EQ8 I got In touch with the guy that runs Dew Control (www.dewcontrol.com/) here in the U.K. who made and sold me my EQMOD cable for my EQ6 Mount, and asked if I could just swap the plug on the end to match my new mount, he told me no, as the voltages are different, one is 3.3v and one was 5v, he went on to explain the electronic reason why, but it went over my head...
So if he was wrong then I apologise... :)
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 6 months ago #43032

No need for apologies whatsoever ;-) It's all about security of our hardware, because using inappropriate signaling voltage might be destructive for mounts' controller board.
For clarification and making sure that we are on the safe side I have just reviewed tech specs of Skywatcher mounts. The conclusion is:

- EQ6(Pro) and (H)EQ5 - expect to see a minimum 4V active high signal, lower signaling voltages will not work - use TTL-232R-5V cable/converter for these mounts
- AZEQ6GT, EQ8 - have a 5V tolerant 3.3V signaling interface, so both 3.3V and 5V active high signal will work - use either TTL-232R-5V or TTL-232R-3V3 cable/converter for these mounts

Take a look at example cables and converters using FTDI chip here: www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBTTLSerial.htm

I personally love ready to use USB cable with build-in converter like the one on the image below. You just need to finish it up with a plug matching your mount.
4 years 6 months ago #43033

Ok, so that’s where the 3.3v and 5v comes from, so I was given wrong info, which is annoying as I bought a new EQMOD cable based on that info, when all I needed to do was swap the DB9 for a rj45... on the cable I already had... :(
4 years 6 months ago #43034

This is the reply I got from the guy at Dew control...

Hi, you are correct, it's all down to the voltage levels of the signals. The HEQ5 and EQ8 require TTL voltages (5v), whereas the EQ6/NEQ6 seems to get away with 3.3v. So level shifters are required or a cable with TTL level outputs.
4 years 6 months ago #43038

This is totally incorrect.
As I already stated in this thread EQ6 TTL voltage is 5V not 3.3V! I do own it and I do use it, really, with 5V TTL USB - serial converter. It's ! EQ8 uses 3.3V (you own it right? what cable/converter do you use? is it 5V?) BUT it accepts 5V on RX input. This means it DOES NOT transmit 5V TTL levels on TX output. No level shifters are required for any mount as far as you use proper FTDI converter /cable - 3.3V OR 5V. If you use a converter/cable which does not much your mount's TTL levels you HAVE TO use level shifters. But why would you use such a converter/cable?

Please let's keep it clear and transparent. Otherwise ppl will ruin their mounts with inaccurate information on voltages.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
4 years 6 months ago #43039

Hold on,
I am only Sharing the reply I got from the guy who runs Dew control, I am not stating this is fact, so please don’t say that I am giving wrong info....you asked, so I shared...it’s not my info but what was given to me ...right or wrong....
4 years 6 months ago #43040

• Thank you received: 0
I've seen the discussion... and I was apologising for asking an obvious question!!! Perhaps it was a good job I asked. Anyway I've been away from the forum for a couple of days refurbishing some old 'scopes for the astro society.

There has been much said especially about voltage levels. I think though have managed to pick up that the HEQ5pro I have is a 5v system. So I will select the cable accordingly.

Thanks for an interesting couple of leads in the discussion as well.

Regards
4 years 6 months ago #43078

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Mount connection issues

I believe the HEQ5 is expecting 4V+ signals, so 5V will work. But I can also say I have a homemade bluetooth interface based on the HC-05 bluetooth serial adapter that worked fine at 3.3V without level shifting. Although as a precaution my final module did include a small level shifting circuit board.
4 years 6 months ago #43083

• Thank you received: 0
There is always another way. Dispense with the cable and use the Skywatcher SynScan WiFi dongle. Well at least that is what I have been told. So far though I have had no joy with this method. It seems Astroberry is stuck on a single IP and will not connect to the dongle. On the other hand Stellarmate has turned up trumps with this method and I can control the mount remotely from my Mac via the dongle and the Rpi. As I see it Stellarmate has a better choice of Wifi networks available and Astroberry does not.

Does anyone have any experience of using the SynScan WiFi dongle with Astroberry? If you do how did you do it?

Thanks in advance
4 years 6 months ago #43198

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.297 seconds