INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry Server 2.0.0 is available now!

• Thank you received: 140
Ok, so ot is showing now under lsusb, but won’t work in ekos or in the Polemaster software....I read something g about editing the bashes file but not sure on that...
4 years 3 months ago #46734
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello,

QHYCCD gives many ASCOM tools to work with their hardware. Use the tools and Windows to verify the operation of the PoleMaster.

I had a bad QHY5LII under warranty that never worked. Fortunately, the Vendor I bought it from RMA’d the device to QHYCCD. It took a long while, two months. My goal was to use it for guiding. I bought the ZWO because of the dead QHYCCD device. When the new one arrived, I now have two CCD devices.

My polar alignment tool that came with my OTA is nearly 40 years old. It disintegrated. The PoleMaster was the claimed ticket to Polar Alignment. INDI and KSTARS is an alternative solution to ASCOM. Now, I have three CCD cameras.

AstroBerry 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 2.01 are the multiple tries to get PolarAlign to work in KSTARS. Part of these tries are learning the process of introducing hardware to INDI.

I now have rules to manage the limited resources of the RPI3B+. The RPI3B+ is the small footprint consigned to manage hardware. AstroEQ is the driver for the motors. EQMOD works well under all versions of AstroBerry.

The last hurdle was GPSD. Anything RPI is personal. Who ever builds it is where the OS lives. Why is this important? KSTARS operations are dependent on where it is geographically. KSTARS does not contain every location on this planet. Nor should it. GPSD works well under AstroBerry 2.01.

Hubs and environment are the last hurdles. Everything works as expected in a controlled environment. Taking it outside is the proverbial rubber meeting the road. Here, heat and cold make INDI look like it has lost its marbles. Cables get brittle under cold. Motors and Drivers overheat when it’s warm.

Using Multiple USB devices under INDI requires a hub. RPI3B+ has 4 ports. Power is required to run USB. What I am finding out, anything more than 4 is a guess. A rule of communication is 70/30. 30% is overhead. Too many talkers and the line is saturated. Some vendors of hubs may even have a narrower split, like 50/50.

But, Astrophotography is a minimal dance of a few items, motors and CCD cameras. Duration is required for long exposures. Long exposures requires precision at the start. Where in the world is Waldo game is played.

PolarAlign is that start. At the present, EKOS and QHYCCD are not talking with each other. I have a Theory that I need to separate the EQMOUNT and GPSD from the Cameras. Network saturation maybe occurring during the PolarAlign process.

If not, then EKOS and QHY5LII are a problem. PoleMaster uses the QHY5 to process anything it does. Instead of ERRORLEVEL==0, QHY5 sends ERRORLEVEL==-1. EKOS does not know what to do with a negative answer. EKOS aborts the camera capture process repeatedly.

Sometimes, an image capture works. Solver aborts. The picture looks pretty. Most times, I never get an image. I get Camera try #1, #2, and then I pack up. I seek help. I have both ASTAP and Astrometry database/zones installed. Solver aborting is a mystery without logging somewhere happening. The picture is beautiful when it occurs .

I can never capture when it does to confirm why it works. Currently, INDI drivers are denied access to the DEBUG option under the Options with AstroBerry 2.0. Debug includes Alignment. Although, I think alignment is PD2 related. Watching EKOS flounder with the PoleMaster never finding Polaris, is not fun.

The ZWO does not have this problem. PoleMaster_QT works beautifully outside of INDI. These two confirmations verify the problem above. Since this is USB 2.0 and low end hardware, QHYCCD says not my problem. Buy a new USB 3.0 device. INDI says all other CCD work.

PHD2 and EKOs were not talking with each other. INDI classification of devices used in the platform must be explicitly defined as Scope or Camera. This solves the PHD issue of not seeing any EKOS equipment and limiting itself to its stock drivers.
4 years 3 months ago #46735
Ok, got it working via terminal in the polemaster software, but still not in ekos, had to edit the bashrc file to allow it to open as admin
4 years 3 months ago #46736
  • Thank you received: 15

Hello,

The .bashrc step is to allow PoleMaster_QT to run. PoleMaster_QT requires sudo rights. I usually take that step out and leave the path statement there. Sending the output of sudo to NULL has other challenges.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by John Robison.
4 years 3 months ago #46737

So how do you get it to run....the polemaster software will run from the icon on the programme ,list but will not connect to the camera, the only way to get it to connect to camera is by starting from terminal, and to do that I have to edit the bashrc file....or have you another way...?
4 years 3 months ago #46743
  • Thank you received: 375

Why do you think it will not work with a regular update & upgrade for PHD2? The last version per github when you were writing this was 2.6.6dev2 and now it is 2.6.6dev2. This is exactly version available in the repository, isn't it?
You are always free to compile any component of the system from sources. Actually that's exactly how every single piece of it has been created ;-)
4 years 3 months ago #46744
For those of you reporting that QHY PoleMaster does not work on Astroberry 2.0.0
To the best of my knowledge the only version of PoleMaster available on QHY site is for Ubuntu Mate. You can tell that even from the file's name: PoleMaster_Qt-for-RPI-Ubuntu-1.3.5.0.deb
Astroberry 2.0.0 is Raspbian Buster based system. Please do not expect programs from other distributions to run on others. There is lots of library dependencies for every program and every distribution has it's own naming and versioning for libraries required.

In case of QHY PoleMaster version of libraries is not compatible with Raspbian Buster. So there is no easy and reliable way to make it work.

However, I did some testing and was successful in running QHY PoleMaster on Astroberry 2.0.0. I do not own QHY camera so cannot confirm that it really works, but this is a challenge for you guys. No guarantee whatsoever, it's a dirty hack.

The procedure is as follows:
1. Download QHY PoleMaster package, currently it is PoleMaster_Qt-for-RPI-Ubuntu-1.3.5.0.deb.zip available here
2. Unzip the file
3. Install it with:
sudo dpkg -i PoleMaster_Qt-for-RPI-Ubuntu-1.3.5.0.deb
4. Install required library:
sudo apt install libopencv-imgproc3.2
5. Create links to libraries required by PoleMaster to libraries available on Astroberry / Raspbian Buster:
 sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libqhyccd.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libqhyccd.so.4
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libopencv_imgproc.so.3.2 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libopencv_imgproc.so.2.4
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libopencv_core.so.3.2 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libopencv_core.so.2.4 
6. Run PoleMaster from terminal:
/usr/bin/PoleMaster/PoleMaster

Running from menu will not work. If you want to have a click and go solution, create a laucher icon on your desktop or taskbar.

PS. Let's call a spade a spade. If program designed for one system does not work on the other is not an issue.
4 years 3 months ago #46745

I have it all working, and I did it the same way you mentioned above, also all that is needed in terminal to run is “sudo PoleMaster” by editing the bashrc file as mentioned on the QHY site...if you don’t do this it WILL NOT RECOGNISE THE CAMERA, the PM software will run, but will not see the camera, this is explained on the QHY site...
With this done it orks great in the QHY polemaster software but does have to be launched from terminal, however, it DOES NOT work in ekos at all, not sure why, also I have tried to created a desktop icon, but with no luck at all, but as I say from terminal, on QHY own PM software, it perfect.. :)

So the solution you give above is perfect for getting the software to run, but the camera will not be recognised without another couple of steps... I realise as you do not have the PM camera it’s impossible for you to know this. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 3 months ago #46746
RAW files support for CCDciel and ASTAP has been just added.
I have just made libpasastro library available for Astroberry. You will probably need to remove the original one before installing new one. Also you need to select which repository should be used for installation (note -t switch below), because libpasastro will be now available both from original Patrick's repo and astroberry repo. I'm not sure how it will work during next update. Please test and report.
sudo apt remove libpasastro
sudo apt install -t buster libpasastro
OR
sudo apt reinstall -t buster libpasastro
The following user(s) said Thank You: andy forster
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
4 years 3 months ago #46755
This topic is becoming long (already 10 pages)
It will be locked soon, so please post new topics related to astroberry in Astroberry Subforum
4 years 3 months ago #46756
  • Thank you received: 74
Nor should we expect you to support software written for other versions of Linux - IMO lets keep it to the task in hand - Indi/Ekos/phd2 etc etc on Raspbian. Thin support (no offence) should not be thinned still further.

Great job so far Radek - we have free working Raspbian version which can be updated via a simple mechanism - ok not the very latest but isn't a big deal.
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 3 months ago #46779

Ok, we get the point, that has already been made....no need for duplicates.. let’s move on... :)

Although to be honest I don’t think the support is thin, I think it’s excellent, and very quick...
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 3 months ago #46781
Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.844 seconds