INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to get the first light with Astoberry Server

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

I am happy to report First Light is now operational.

The service noVNC.service was corrected. I changed the Type from forking to idle on all these service files

Nginx
Vncserver-x11-serviced
NoVNC
Astropanel
Gpspanel
Indiwebmanager
Indiwebmanagerapp
VirtualGPS

I also found an issue with noVNC.service. This was the problem all along. I was looking at another service and noticed the syntax around After=.

Before

After=multi-user.target vncserver-x11-serviced

After

After=vncserver-x11-serviced

Additional Critical Path services had this configuration issue. They are GPSPANEL, ASTROPANEL, and VIRTUALGPS. Starting any of these with the fix will cause an infinite search for a non existant service.

Now, everything works.

Findings:

Critical path items had

1. User=multiple names

I removed all User= entries. They are not necessary.

2. Syntax errors [UNIT] should be [Unit]

3. NGINX requires SUDO help to load.

4. Type= different levels.

I standardized on Type=idle.

5. After=Multi-user.target service.name
This should be After=service.name

6. Running the update under sudo or root masks the needs of systemctl enable and restart. Be ready to input the password before and after the &&.

7. The noVNC service bug hung up the POSTINST script from completing. The service Multi-user. Target Service Name did not exist.

8. Bypassing all systemctl commands allowed the script to be completed. Running dpgk —configure-a did not and could not fix syntax errors

9. A December 7 patch left the First Light process in limbo. Several service files were corrupted.

This study is completed. The system is working as advertised. Thank you for your time.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by John Robison.
4 years 3 months ago #47993

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3
Hi Radek,

where did you hide the Ubuntu Date and Time-Setting ?

When I´m in the Field with no internet, I need to set the time manualy.

I´ve googled for this, but at astroberry I don´t find this :
Change the date and time
Open the Activities overview and start typing Settings.
Click on Settings.
Click Details in the sidebar.
Click Date & Time in the sidebar to open the panel.
If you have the Automatic Date & Time switch set to on, your date and time should update automatically if you have an internet connection.

CS
Reiner
4 years 3 months ago #47994

Hello,

I guess it is rights issue. The problem I have is with GPS. With First Light and a GPS connected, GPSPANEL map bounces between the default Poland and the current GPS coordinates. It looks like a hardwired coordinate is not allowing the system to change it. Where is the question? Deep dive coming.
4 years 3 months ago #48010

• Thank you received: 375

Unfortunatelly Raspbian Desktop Environment (LXDE) does not include a standard tool to set the date and time. The easiest way is to issue a command on the command line, the following are some examples...
sudo date -s "Mon Aug  12 20:14:11 UTC 2014"
sudo date 06211345
sudo date –s “June 21 13:45”
sudo date –s “21 June 13:45 2012”
sudo date –s “13:45 June 21”
sudo date –s “Jun 21 1:45pm”
sudo date –s “Next Thursday 13:45

It's actually good change request... I will need to add it to the system in a future release.
4 years 3 months ago #48017

You need to disable virtualgps, which is part of the system, for users that don't have GPS but want some of the system functionalities work for them.
sudo systemctl stop virtualgps
sudo systemctl disable virtualgps
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Robison
4 years 3 months ago #48018

Hello Radek,

Thank you. Oops... I think indiWeb is dependent on VirtualGPS running. Indiwebmanager stopped running after I disabled VirtualGPS.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by John Robison.
4 years 3 months ago #48019

It can't be. There is no dependence between the two. This is just coincidence
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
4 years 3 months ago #48022

Hello,

I reconnected. Faulty chrome session. We are back in the saddle.
4 years 3 months ago #48025

Wow, looks like AradoSKYindi has been on a roll and found a few issues and offered solutions!

Any chance these could be incorporated into next releases of Astroberry?
4 years 3 months ago #48026

Hi Radek,

that did not work. I investigated via google and found this orders. And they work.

First Stop automatic time update
timedatectl set-ntp 0

sudo timedatectl set-time 2020-01-14
sudo timedatectl set-time 20:15

If you want to restart automatic time update:

timedatectl set-ntp 1

Reiner
4 years 3 months ago #48035

Would it be possible to get the time from a connected mount with GPS? For example iOptron ?
4 years 3 months ago #48036

Hello,

The USB GPS connected to my RPI3B+ was configured to provide time. KSTARS was setup to use this Time from the attached USB device.

The critical path for time are power and connections. The RPI3, RPI3B+, and RPI4 have 4 USB and 1 nic. USB is asynchronous. The 1 nic is TCPIP, synchronous.

Given the ports, 4 ports are receiving data and 1 port can give or receive data. To give, it must be a time giver. The iOptron is USB based. Depending on the model, models do have RJ45 connectors. I am certain that the iOptron GPS is meant for its consumption. The iOptron OS model is specific to its needs.

My system uses my attached USB GPS to get time. That is my design. The iOptron design is to service its needs.

Some models have wireless capabilities. Wireless would be one avenue to share Time through. The System providing the Wireless service has to have time. Both The RPI3B+ and iOptron would be dependent on the time from the wireless network.

From this discussion, the iOptron must be designed to provide GPS and time to any RPI product via a custom designed cable from iOptron to an RPI product.

The product I use is a DIY GLOSSNOS USB GPS device. This plugs into a 4 port powered USB hub and into the RPI3B+. GPSD provides the service for The RPI3B+ to receive NEMA data from the DIY. The DIY is much less expensive than the iOptron GPS device. I purposely separate USB traffic to provide the maximum opportunity to asynchronously communicate with USB devices.

Not currently possible is the answer, given the reasons provided. A third party could provide time to both systems through wireless services.
4 years 3 months ago #48041

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.172 seconds