INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Cannot Connect to Astroberry VAP

• Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the advice. Interestingly, after disabling security it connects immediately. But if I enable any type of security (WEP or WPA), it fails to connect. I suppose I could run with it open but I'm not very comfortable with that since I plan to start using an astronomy site that will have a lot of other people nearby who are also going to be using telescopes and astrophotography rigs - it wouldn't be very good if someone connected (either accidentally or on purpose) and messed with my RPI.

So the problem is definitely related to Wi-Fi security and Android, I just don't know how to sort that out.
4 years 2 months ago #47749

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12
I run into the same problem. I cannot join the WiFi from my Samsung Note 8. My windows PC and an old Asus Android tablet can connect, but that Asus tablet have such an old Android version that I cannot install Kstars Lite on it.
4 years 1 week ago #50756

• Thank you received: 3
Hi All,

I have the same issue with my Galaxy S9 +
My Iphone, iPad Air, Sony Xperia X3 and my Oneplus connect without any Problem. It seams to be related to Samsung.

CS
Reiner
4 years 1 week ago #50773

> It seams to be related to Samsung.

Agreed, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's a Samsung issue since all of my Samsung devices (and I have several of them) have no problem connecting to any other Wi-Fi access point - just the Astroberry software.
4 years 1 week ago #50774

I've found this:
raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/...o-raspi-access-point

According to that it is a problem in the WPA Supplicant code on the RPI.
4 years 1 week ago #50778

But is there a fix? I read through that entire string and only understand about 1/3 of it.
4 years 1 week ago #50798

In the last answer it says compiling wpa suplicant V2.9 from source helped.
So I'm afraid no easy solution here.
4 years 1 week ago #50815

I just don't know how to build a new Astroberry image with the v2.9 supplicant. It's odd that the folks who manage Astroberry haven't done this already. Samsung devices are very popular and the Wi-Fi hotspot needs to work with those devices.
4 years 1 week ago #50822

• Thank you received: 420
Astroberry depends on the Raspbian Buster Linux distribution and it is that distribution that determines the versions of the software available on it. It is far from easy to update any core software on a distribution since there are a LOT of dependencies that need to be satisfied.
Note that connecting with a mobile phone to the wifi of a Raspberry Pi is not a very common thing to do so from that persopective it makes sense that this latest version isn't available in Raspbian yet.
4 years 1 week ago #50825

That's why I've said that no easy solution.
Note, that Astroberry is just a package over the Raspbian distribution, and wpa supplicant is part of Raspbian, not Astroberry.
The best we can hope that Raspbian will be upgraded soon.
4 years 1 week ago #50832

• Thank you received: 375

Official Raspbian Buster system from Raspberry Foundation (see www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/) provides wpa_supplicant version 2.7. This means that the issue impacts all Raspberry Pi users who use official system, not just Astroberry users.
Astroberry is built on top of Raspbian Buster so we are impacted as well. The only solution is to manually upgrade version of wpa_supplicant to the latest 2.9.
However version 2.9 is marked unstable/experimental so it is not available in stable repositories yet. It must be compiled from sources located on the official site w1.fi/releases/wpa_supplicant-2.9.tar.gz

This will take some time wpa_supplicant is promoted to stable. As soon as it is you will receive it with regular updates and the issue will be solved for you and all the other users.

In the meantime, can anybody compile and package version 2.9 from the sources?
4 years 1 week ago #50889

I have managed to compile wpa_supplicant 2.9 from source, and indeed it has solved the problem.

It is not hard to compile, anyone can do that. Here are the steps needed:

1. Download the source from the link from Kaczorek's post: w1.fi/releases/wpa_supplicant-2.9.tar.gz

2. Extract the source:
$ tar xvzf Downloads/wpa_supplicant-2.9.tar.gz
That creates a directory wpa_supplicant-2.9

3. Go to the build directory wpa_supplicant-2.9/wpa_supplicant
$ cd wpa_supplicant-2.9/wpa_supplicant

4. Create a .config file.
I've used the one I've found at the end of this thread: raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/...o-raspi-access-point
For your convenience I attach it to the post.
You have to rename it to .config, but the forum does not allow me to upload it by that name:
$ mv config.txt .config
Of course you can change the values in it as you wish, or make one for yourself based on the provided defconfig file.

5. You will need the development package for dbus and netlink socket, so install them:
$ sudo apt install libdbus-1-dev libnl-genl-3-dev

6. Compile the source
$ make
After successful compilation you will get 3 binaries: wpa_supplicant, wpa_cli and wpa_passphrase

7. Install th enew binaries

The original .deb package install wpa_supplican and wpa_cli in /sbin while wpa_passphrase is in /usr/bin. You can simple overwrite them is you wish, but I rather like to keep them, and install the new ones in /usr/local:
$ sudo cp -a wpa_supplicant /usr/local/sbin/
$ sudo cp -a wpa_cli /usr/local/sbin/
$ sudo cp -a wpa_passphrase /usr/local/bin/
Since the /usr/local directories is earlier in $PATH than the system directories, these ones will shadow the originals when called from command line.

8. Update systemd
For the wpa_supplicant service unfortunately the path is hardcoded in the systemd service file, so if you just do what I did, you have to update it:
$ sudoedit /lib/systemd/system/wpa_supplicant.service
On the ExecStart line change
ExecStart=/sbin/wpa_supplicant
to
ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant

Refresh systemd:
$ systemctl daemon-reload
$ systemctl restart wpa_supplicant
It is better to do that from the console or through ethernet connection, since the WiFi will disconnect and reconnect, if it was successful.
You can alternatively simple reboot your RPI, but be prepared that if something is wrong with the new wpa_supplicant or you made a mistake in the systemd config, WiFi will not work.

If something gone wrong, you can check the wpa_supplicant service status with:
$ systemctl status wpa_supplicant
This will tell you if for example you misspelled the path.

9. Connect from your Samsung phone!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek, Jorge Restrepo, Bill Richards, Yossi
3 years 11 months ago #52158
Attachments:

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.837 seconds