INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Stop trying Astroberry kstars_ekos - I'm tired - SOLVED and other opportunity

• Thank you received: 1
Dear all,

I bought stellarmate OS and with my RPI4 I try to use the systems, but with a lot of problems, and the system was very slow. Then, I tried to use astroberry server 2.0.0 and works a lot better tahn stellarmate. I spend a lot of time to configure all, some times didn't work some Pegasus PPB driver, some times another driver, some time when I reboot the system, astroberry don't find some equipment... 3 or 4 weeks later finally with the last updates all the equipment's worked fine. Pegasus Driver, Sony Camera, EAF focusser, guide camera, etc. Today I planned to go ouside for the first session, before I need to change the wifi access to HOTSpot, because outside I dont have internet connection and I don't have a router for this. And this was the last problem, I try t disconnect the wifi router in my home, them reboot astroberry, then I can see the astroberry hot spot in my wifi connections, tried to connect to the hot spot, write the password (astroberry) and my laptop say "I can't connect to this network"). (I remember that in the fist version from astroberry server 2.0.0 the HOTSpot wors well). I tested all the posibilities, for example to be sure about the password, and it is impossible.

My decision now is that I need to buy a MINI PC, and install Windows 10 Pro and use comercial software. Reallly I'm very tired about to use Linux software and hardware, It is never possible to know if all the things will work or not. And I can't spend more time for all the systems works well and with reliably. The only problem for me is taht I use a Sony A7RIII, there are not ascom windows driver for this cam, and probably I need to buy another cam. INDI drivers have driver for this cam and works very well...

Thanks for the hard work to the people that develop this OS, if all works well it's a good system, with a lot of posibilities, but the problem finally is the same, Linux and free software in front of Windows.

Regards,
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by JOSE MANUEL SUAREZ ROMAN.
4 years 2 months ago #47912

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15
Hi,

Can't blame Astroberry at all. It is because Astroberry doesn't update kstars via nightly or Github. So, sometimes we need to wait until the stable version comes out. Actually you are having the same situation with me, my Pentax DSLR doesn't support in Windows at all. I have to always depend on Linux when using Pentax DSLR. :) My other devices all connected successfully in Kstars ( no matter SM os or Astroberry or AstroPi3 script.)

Cheers.
4 years 2 months ago #47915

• Thank you received: 74
Sorry you had problems but you can mix the two (Linux and Windows) using CCDCIEL. This will run on Linux or Windows or Macos. AND it will talk to each at the same time (mostly). So you can use Indi for your DSLR camera as now and Ascom for your mount,guiding ,FW etc for example.

Its still in the late Beta stage but dont let that put you off its pretty good and has a lot of options which many of the "paid for" versions have.

All is not great no matter which platform you choose and paying for software guarantees nothing - just read SGL,CN web sites on the problems under Windows. Not a lot of difference especially for the newer hardware.

Some of your problems may not be due to the Astroberry/Kstars/Indi software at all - have you ever tried to get Windows Desktop to do a simple HOTSPOT!

Remember the RPI4 is new (not a year old) and just like anything new you will have problems/ frustrations BUT at least you have direct access to the developers - you will not get that with Windows OS problems - next version due very soon!

Good luck and Clear Skies.
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 2 months ago #47919

• Thank you received: 226
WiFi hotspots can be troublesome. For instance only my tablet will not connect to the hotspots on my RPi4 with Raspbian Buster unless I make it an open network with no password.
There are other options at your disposal. You can try an external WiFi adapter, change the wifi channel, use 2.4Ghz instead of 5Ghz. Or could connect over a direct ethernet connection.
4 years 2 months ago #47920

• Thank you received: 1
Thanks for all that reply to this post...

Finally I checked another time, I did a lot of test and one of them was to modify the SSID name of HoTSpot from astroberry to astroberryJose and then save the changues. Then, I restart RPI4 without the home internet router connected and I could connect to the HotSpot and all working well.

Then I want to give it another chance to astroberry....

Thanks,

Jose
4 years 2 months ago #47995

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.767 seconds