INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ttyUSB0 issues on OnStepp and RasPi4

• Thank you received: 27
hi! don't fall into despair - i will check my CP20xx today to see what i get ... yours wolfi
4 years 2 months ago #48435

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Wolfi,

I'm tired (I'm going to sleep late behind this topic ...), but I'm still not desperate because I know I have you guys who can help me.
In the end we will get it, I'm sure (I'm a low cost amateur astronomer in Catalonia, and my life is used to having these moments of despair ;-p)

Thanks a lot,
Pep
4 years 2 months ago #48438

hi!
i think that there is nothing wrong with your CP21xx. i tried it here and
pi@TSC:~ $ udevadm info -a -n /dev/ttyUSB0 | grep serial

gives me

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb-serial"
ATTRS{serial}=="0136F636"
ATTRS{serial}=="0000:01:00.0"

for my CP2104. the first attribute is the iSerial serial number. that is not a second a device. what IS strange is that your device has serial number 0000 ...

can you send us the result of
lsusb -v -d 10c4:ea60

???

BTW, you can simply copy the content of your terminal by marking the output and using Ctrl-Shift-C instead of Ctrl-C ...

yours wolfi
4 years 2 months ago #48442

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

Pardon me. I have been reading this thread. I am puzzled. I tried using /dev/ttyUSB0 early on. I abandoned its use and camped on /dev/ttyACM* for AstroBerry 1.1 and 2.0.0. I think you may have better service using /dev/ttyACM0* for RS232 devices.
4 years 2 months ago #48449

hi!
worth a try as well - but the dmesg log pep posted clearly states that the adapter connects to ttyUSB0 ...
yours wolfi
4 years 2 months ago #48451

Hi Wolfi,

The results is:

astroberry@astroberry:~ $ lsusb -v -d 10c4:ea60

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP2102/CP2109 UART Bridge Controller [CP210x family]
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.10
bDeviceClass 0
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x10c4 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc.
idProduct 0xea60 CP2102/CP2109 UART Bridge Controller [CP210x family]
bcdDevice 1.00
iManufacturer 1 Silicon Labs
iProduct 2 CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller
iSerial 3 0001
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 0x0020
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0x80
(Bus Powered)
MaxPower 100mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 2 CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x01 EP 1 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
can't get debug descriptor: Resource temporarily unavailable
Device Status: 0x0000
(Bus Powered)

Thanks,
Pep
4 years 2 months ago #48452

Hi Arado,

How I can do it?

Thanks,
Pep
4 years 2 months ago #48453

hi!
USB devices can also be set in the dev rules, i think ... but i have a more important question: why are you running on USB 1.1????

it should work, i am just wondering.
yours wolfi
4 years 2 months ago #48456

Hi Wolfi,

Well, I don't know where should it be connected? And how do I set up the rule file correctly? (I have tried everything and I do not succeed)
I show you my 99-observatory.rules files

#OnStep per reconeixer port OnStep

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0001", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="O$
#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb-serial", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="OnStep"

#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb-serial", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0001", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="OnStep"
#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0001", MODE="0666"
#SUBSYSTEMS=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0001", MODE="0666"

#OnFocus per reconeixer port OnFocus
#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0000:01:00.0", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="OnFocus"
#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0000:01:00.0", MODE="0666"
#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0000:01:00.0", MODE="0666", SY$

I tried a lot of things and I do not runs never.
Is it possible to change the USB1.1?
Thanks for your time,

Pep
4 years 2 months ago #48466

hi!
i checked the doc - USB 1.1 seems to be the response from this converter, which is apparently an older model.
as far as i can tell, all is fine with your converter. so it is either a hardware failure (scarce) or a software problem ...

i am running out of suggestions, maybe someone with a better understanding of udev rules might be able to help.
... i still see the focuser as a separate device here - which is suspicious.

one idea:
- move the udev rules file to a different location so that they are not executed at startup
- reboot
- now, you cannot access /dev/ttyUSB0 UNLESS you are root OR - i hope that works - you give everyone else access to the device by typing

sudo chmod a+rw /dev/ttyUSB0

in the terminal. start kstars in the same terminal. if this works (unless i typed some BS, which is always possible), then the udev rules are the problem. this is not a remedy, by the way. next time you reboot, access is gone again ...

yours wolfi
4 years 2 months ago #48473

Hi Wolfi,

Thank you so much.
I'll try it tonight (within 13 hours or so, now I'm working ... :( ).
I hope it works and clarifies the topic, or better: Fix it.
If not, I suppose I will have to reload astroberry 2.0 from a new image and wait works and/or reprogram the STM32.
At the beginings, the focus should be fine and the indi-LX200_OnStep takes control of the mount and focus, but it is true that maybe it is misconfigured and I need to start like an indi-driver in part for focus....
..... Wow this I haven't tried it !!!: I also start the focus with INDI-OnFocus and, then, maybe one thing works for me and not the other? ... One more thing to try !!! :woohoo: )
Still thank you very much ....;)
I'll tell you .... (I need to solve early because if not my wife kill me :blush: )

Pep
4 years 2 months ago #48477

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

Now that I have my rig up, I can describe my configuration. I researched udevadm requirements. From there, I decided that all Ill-behaving devices would have their own rules. I have two, a USB DYI GPS and an AstroEQ. I created two rules in /lib/useful/rules.d.

First, udevadm requirements state, KERNEL== is required to enumerate a new instance of a device.

Ex. KERNEL==“ttyACM*” ,SUBSYSTEM== “tty”

This says increment the next asynchronous communication management device is needed under subsystem tty. This addition and rules management style allowed me to manage both devices and give them the desired resources.

I only have two such devices. Only 4 ports exist on every RPI. Other device type may have more.

Also, I took the information after the RUN== and ran the string under sudo to see if any syntax errors or other errors were present. Syntax errors are common.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by John Robison.
4 years 2 months ago #48498

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.189 seconds