INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ttyUSB0 issues on OnStepp and RasPi4

• Thank you received: 27
hi!
USB devices can also be set in the dev rules, i think ... but i have a more important question: why are you running on USB 1.1????

it should work, i am just wondering.
yours wolfi
4 years 2 months ago #48456

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Wolfi,

Well, I don't know where should it be connected? And how do I set up the rule file correctly? (I have tried everything and I do not succeed)
I show you my 99-observatory.rules files

#OnStep per reconeixer port OnStep

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0001", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="O$
#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb-serial", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="OnStep"

#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb-serial", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0001", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="OnStep"
#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0001", MODE="0666"
#SUBSYSTEMS=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0001", MODE="0666"

#OnFocus per reconeixer port OnFocus
#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0000:01:00.0", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="OnFocus"
#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0000:01:00.0", MODE="0666"
#SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", ATTRS{serial}=="0000:01:00.0", MODE="0666", SY$

I tried a lot of things and I do not runs never.
Is it possible to change the USB1.1?
Thanks for your time,

Pep
4 years 2 months ago #48466

hi!
i checked the doc - USB 1.1 seems to be the response from this converter, which is apparently an older model.
as far as i can tell, all is fine with your converter. so it is either a hardware failure (scarce) or a software problem ...

i am running out of suggestions, maybe someone with a better understanding of udev rules might be able to help.
... i still see the focuser as a separate device here - which is suspicious.

one idea:
- move the udev rules file to a different location so that they are not executed at startup
- reboot
- now, you cannot access /dev/ttyUSB0 UNLESS you are root OR - i hope that works - you give everyone else access to the device by typing

sudo chmod a+rw /dev/ttyUSB0

in the terminal. start kstars in the same terminal. if this works (unless i typed some BS, which is always possible), then the udev rules are the problem. this is not a remedy, by the way. next time you reboot, access is gone again ...

yours wolfi
4 years 2 months ago #48473

Hi Wolfi,

Thank you so much.
I'll try it tonight (within 13 hours or so, now I'm working ... :( ).
I hope it works and clarifies the topic, or better: Fix it.
If not, I suppose I will have to reload astroberry 2.0 from a new image and wait works and/or reprogram the STM32.
At the beginings, the focus should be fine and the indi-LX200_OnStep takes control of the mount and focus, but it is true that maybe it is misconfigured and I need to start like an indi-driver in part for focus....
..... Wow this I haven't tried it !!!: I also start the focus with INDI-OnFocus and, then, maybe one thing works for me and not the other? ... One more thing to try !!! :woohoo: )
Still thank you very much ....;)
I'll tell you .... (I need to solve early because if not my wife kill me :blush: )

Pep
4 years 2 months ago #48477

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

Now that I have my rig up, I can describe my configuration. I researched udevadm requirements. From there, I decided that all Ill-behaving devices would have their own rules. I have two, a USB DYI GPS and an AstroEQ. I created two rules in /lib/useful/rules.d.

First, udevadm requirements state, KERNEL== is required to enumerate a new instance of a device.

Ex. KERNEL==“ttyACM*” ,SUBSYSTEM== “tty”

This says increment the next asynchronous communication management device is needed under subsystem tty. This addition and rules management style allowed me to manage both devices and give them the desired resources.

I only have two such devices. Only 4 ports exist on every RPI. Other device type may have more.

Also, I took the information after the RUN== and ran the string under sudo to see if any syntax errors or other errors were present. Syntax errors are common.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by John Robison.
4 years 2 months ago #48498

Hi Arado and wolfi,

First, I tried the focus an mount driver and not works. Many trys but only works on a PC (Ubuntu mate, like a local)
Arado, I'll try it this evening. Is to say: remove all the rules on rules. d directory. And create a new one but this time with the suggestions that you did it. On this new rule file I add a kernel, subsystem, (by USB or tty?) and then... What more? Similar like I posted some interventions before?
Thanks for your help.
Pep
4 years 2 months ago #48541

Hello,

I am puzzled why deleting all rules is required. The next update will replace the missing, maybe. This why I create specific rules for specific hardware.

Other drivers might be necessary. Be sure to check your device list before deleting everything.
4 years 2 months ago #48555

• Thank you received: 11
Let us know whether it was the GPS deamon ;-)
4 years 2 months ago #48564

Hello

I do believe ttyUSB0 = ttyS0 which is the console terminal. This is why ttyACM is the better choice.
4 years 2 months ago #48579

Hy to every body,

I tried, this weekend, a lot of test, include a script of AstroPi3 for generate a correct rules file. But continuos not work.
But this script only works for usb/ttyusb*, you suggest that could be that onstep use an other type of device? (like ttyS* or ttyAM*...)
For other hand I checked if, direct, to connect on PC (by Linux) works, and works perfectly.
Then I think that the problem cames from the raspi4 (4gb), i seems remember that raspi4 4gb are not completely stable yet, and obviously the kstart /indi doesn't works well.
Today I want to check on raspi3B and Rasoi3B+, and look what happens?
Thanks for all your support,

Pep
4 years 2 months ago #48604

Hi Arado,
May I ask you send an exemple of the rules of ttyACM would have to create it? (kernel I'd use, subsystem, add, dventor,... All the thinks that you believe that is necessary)
Thanks,
Pep
4 years 2 months ago #48605

hi pep!
well - ttySx is he standard UART, the old style miniDIN 9 COM1 port hardly to be found on any computer anymore (the pi still ha it via dedicated GPIO pins, but no direct connector). the ttyACMx thing - well - i don't think that this is the problem as your cp2102/9 hooks up to ttyUSB0. maybe a try with the pi3+ might shed more light on that problem ...
yours wolfi
4 years 2 months ago #48606

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.947 seconds