INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New issue with GPS use in Astroberry 2.0.1

• Thank you received: 50
I'm struggling with three micro SD cards on my RPi4, running KStars/Ekos/Indi under Raspian Buster, trying to get my GPS dongle to correctly update the system time and equally the time and location in KStars. The RPi4 is in WiFi Hotspot mode in each case with no Internet connection and with no Ethernet cable to a router.
The working card is one I made several months ago, and using the AstroPi3 script. The other two are versions of Astroberry 2.0.1, one a fresh image from a download at the weekend, the other one made by sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade of an Astroberry 2.0.0 image.
I am finding in the latter two cases, that the apparent location in the Indi GPSD window is often erroneously indicating Long +21° 00' 25" Lat +52° 08' 16" (ie somewhere in Poland rather than in Switzerland). Refreshing the GPS may give a correct location but the GPS time remains the same indicating a time when the first GPS fix was obtained when Ekos was first set in action.
Any ideas about what is going on, and which piece of software may be responsible and needs a bug fix?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark
4 years 2 months ago #48972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
Stop and disable virtualgps running:
sudo systemctl stop virtualgps
sudo systemctl disable virtualgps

It's covered in FAQ github.com/rkaczorek/astroberry-server#faq
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
4 years 2 months ago #48974

I carried out the suggestions and rebooted. I no longer have any references to the false GPS location.
Before engaging Kstars I waited for several minutes but the system time was never updated (I checked that GPSD was actively running). I then opened Kstars and started Ekos with a simulator + GPSD equipment profile.
The GPS fix was recognised in the Indi Main control and the location and KStars time were updated. And at some instant so was the RPi desktop clock. However as GPS fix refreshes took place (set for 60 seconds) the UTC Time in the INDI Control Panel incremented by only one second (rather than one minute). Hence the KStars time gradually slipped backwards from correct time and the system time indicated by the RPi desktop.
At this point I checked whether Indi-gpsd was running (as mentioned in the other thread) and the query returned inactive.
I also ran gpsmon which showed time updated every second and matching the RPi desktop clock.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Avocette. Reason: Extra information
4 years 2 months ago #49010

I seem to have found a workaround which gets me up and working again - www.indilib.org/forum/astroberry/6128-us...rry-2-0-0.html#49018
4 years 2 months ago #49020

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds