INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Eqmod keyboard or gamepad control using astroberry

• Thank you received: 2
Hi, I have astroberry installed on my raspberry pi4. It works great except one thing. I cant figure out how to control my mount using my wireless mini keyboard or a gamepad. Being able to do this is very useful when aligning. Surely theres a way to do this.
Thanks
4 years 1 month ago #49313

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 74
I am assuming you are using "bluetooth".

Try one device at a time .

Starting with Gamepad(i use a ipega bluetoothed device) .

1. Make sure Bluetooth switched on and open to discovery (should be needed really)

2. Make sure your Gamepad is "open" (not hidden) and transmitting ok (some shut down afer 20secs)

3. Scan for devices on RPI via Bluetooth icon- should show up your Gamepad if compatible

4. Pair the device.

5. Follow this indilib.org/support/tutorials/135-contro...with-a-joystick.html - suggest you use Telescope simulation first - then your real Telescope driver. I think I am right not all Telescope drivers have the option to use the Gamepad - might be wrong.

6. Depending on your make of Pad you will need to go into Indi Telescope settings Gamepad/Joystick tab and check what Gamepad buttons do what.
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 1 month ago #49315

Thanks stash, the keyboard is wireless using a dongle and it works fine a a keyboard.

The issue is more the integration with eqmod. I can add a joystick as you described, but couldn't get it to recognize arrow keys.
One thing I haven't tried is just using my USB gamepad which may work fine with the joystick option, though I would prefer using the keyboard as it has more options.

Could EQMOD be modified to add a keyboard, similar to the joystick option? I am a software engineer, but haven't looked into that yet.

Failing all this, I could just buy a joystick
4 years 1 month ago #49317

• Thank you received: 375
You can use any gamepad or joystick. You need to use indi_joystick driver in your profile and enable joystick on your mount or focuser options tab.
4 years 1 month ago #49326

Got it working! :) Thanks guys

I had to add a joystick as an auxiliary device, and not just click enable joystick on eqmod but do both.
4 years 1 month ago #49329

• Thank you received: 13
I am experimenting with the same thing. I can get everything working great, but when the Bluetooth device is shut off and then turned back on (it goes to sleep automatically after 15 minutes), it does not work again in INDI until I restart the INDI Joystick driver. Is there any way to make this work without needing to bounce INDI driver every time I want to slew with a bluetooth gamepad? The device is automatically pairing and re-pairing just fine at the OS level.

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but I am curious if astro_chris noticed the same behavior with his device.

8Bitdo SN30 gamepad (Bluetooth)
EQMod (Connected to EQ6-R Pro)
Astroberry Server (Raspberry Pi 4)
I use Cartes du Ciel instead of Kstars/Ekos (shouldn't matter)
4 years 3 weeks ago #50306

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.851 seconds