INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Avalon StarGo RA Tracking Adj Feature Request

• Thank you received: 3
Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks. The Clear Sky Chart looks pretty good for tonight. I'll try to get 1.10 built today and try it out tonight.

David
4 years 4 days ago #51084

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Wolfgang,

I built and installed StarGo 1.10 and verified by inspecting the file manager date/time that it was built.

I've tested this indoors and the RA Tracking Adjust value does not appear to be saved by the mount over a shut down & start up sequence. This appears to be consistent with the reply that I received from Stefano at Avalon in response to my question on this same topic on the Avalon Instruments forum prior to my posting this request.

Here's my testing procedure:
1. Start Kstars/Ekos and automatically connect to mount.
2. Set Tracking to -1.08 on INDI CP/Avalon StarGo/RA/Dec tab
3. Save Configuration on Options tab.
4. Load Device Configuration/Never on Kstars/Configure/Ekos/General tab
5. Disconnect equipment on Ekos and Stop Ekos
6. Exit Kstars/Ekos
7. Start Kstars/Ekos and automatically connect to mount.
8. Reported value of Tracking is 0.00 on INDI CP/Avalon StarGo/RA/Dec tab

If I Set Tracking to -1.08, Save Configuration and change to Load Device Configuration/On Connection on Kstars/Configure/Ekos/General tab and then shut down and restart the reported value of Tracking is -1.08.

Perhaps I am missing something? I'm certainly no expert at this. :-)
One thing I have not found is a way to Load Device Configuration at any time other than On Connection.

Hope this has been helpful.

Regards,
David
4 years 4 days ago #51110

• Thank you received: 370
Hi David,
thanks for the test, I have to verify it. I did not shut down the mount between the tests, so I do not know whether the stored value survives a shutdown.

But I tested whether the mount remembers the value at least while it is turned on. This is the case, so connecting, setting the value, disconnecting, connecting and reading the value returns the value that has been set.

Now my mount is running, M108 is in focus, so I have to wait until tomorrow.

Wolfgang
4 years 4 days ago #51123

Hi Wolfgang,

I think I was not clear in my previous post. I did not power down the mount but performed the same test that you did. I found that if the if the Load Configuration was set to Never, then a value of 0.00 was returned from which I concluded that the mount was not remembering the value. If the Load Configuration was set to On Connection, then the correct value was loaded into the mount and displayed on the RA/Dec panel.

Perhaps I'm not testing this correctly? Or maybe I didn't do the make properly?

Regards,
David
4 years 3 days ago #51128

Hm, OK, now I got your point. Are you sure that you are testing the 1.10 version? Because one of the changes I made was that the tracking adjustment is no longer stored in the config file but it remains inside of the firmware.

I indeed made the mistake and forgot to call a "make install" so that my mount is currently still running on the 1.9 version, where the adjustment parameter is stored in the client.

I just pushed an update to the 1.10 version so that the new version number is visible in the INDI client. If you pull it, rebuild and restart the driver, you should be able to check whether you are on the right version.

I will do the same in a couple of minutes. Fortunately, it's not too complicated to restart capturing: stop the scheduler, disconnect from the driver, restart it, connect back and restart the scheduler. Should be a matter of 5 min.

Wolfgang
4 years 3 days ago #51129

OK, now I retested it with the right version. For me it looks good, the mount reacts on the parameter changes. I could see drifts either west or east, depending on a positive or a negative adjustment.

The parameter is also no longer stored in the config file. The only thing that I would like to check during daytime is whether the parameter survives a power off.

Good night
Wolfgang
4 years 3 days ago #51130

I tested the power cycle, the firmware keeps the calibration value set.

So from my side, everything looks good, I will push the changes.

- Wolfgang
4 years 3 days ago #51137

Hi Wolfgang,

That's good news.

I'm a real newbie at cloning, making, etc, and the whole procedure is still something of a mystery to me despite my success at building star go-1.9. After almost 2 hours of trying yesterday evening, INDI CP/Avalon/Connection still reports version 1.9. My notes apparently were insufficient to enable me to clone 1.10 and make and install it.

But, you've verified that the value is saved, and I have something that works until a complete update is published, so life is good.

Thanks.
Regards,
David
4 years 3 days ago #51144

Hi Wolfgang,

I finally got stargo-1.10 installed and can confirm that the Tracking value is retained in the mount through power down and clutch release. That's a nice upgrade. Thanks very much.

Regards,
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wolfgang Reissenberger
4 years 1 day ago #51259

Hi David,
good to hear, many thanks! The version 1.10 is meanwhile part of the main branch of indi-3rdparty.

Btw, thanks @knro for always super fast reactions on PRs!

- Wolfgang
4 years 1 day ago #51268

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.770 seconds