INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Options for getting updates for Raspbian

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

I am finding I am taking multiple attempts with days of “apt-get update”. I rarely get to “apt-get upgrade” with the suggested steps. When I go to “apt-get upgrade, downloads are a crawl and timeout. I would be interested in a way for apt to be in a restartable mode. Seeing it repeat the same download as the Last N tries, where N > 0, is challenging for a restartable Mode. /z is the file replicate mode to recover a failed copy. Apt cannot seem to attempt any more than three strikes and your out. Anything over 10 mb is an effort of futility.

I did not seem to have this problem with Ubuntu. I was not under nation wide Shelter at Home protocol then. The network is slammed with content seekers and DDOS attackers. What are the options?
4 years 1 day ago #52001

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
Does it apply to plain raspbian updates or specifically astroberry packages served from astroberry.io?
I have had some reports on low system image download speed, so it could be the same case.
4 years 1 day ago #52020

Hello Kaczorek,

Unfortunately, any update fails to download. What is interesting is the IP with Port for astroberry.io works fine. I could download the packages HTTP. But, then the packages are out of sync. I am puzzled why the three-strikes-out try and starting over.
4 years 1 day ago #52044

Usually this type of issues are connected to low speed internet connection or other connection problems.
You can try using mirror sites for updates. See www.raspbian.org/RaspbianMirrors
To do so you need to edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace original raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ to either:
- selected mirror e.g. for Oklahoma, US you can use reflection.oss.ou.edu/raspbian/raspbian/
OR
- generic mirror auto-redirector, which will automatically direct requests to a suitable (and hopefully local) mirror i.e. mirrordirector.raspbian.org/
4 years 1 day ago #52064

Hello Kaczoreck,

Thank you for the options. Yes, heavy web content traffic clogs everything during a pandemic. This experience predates the pandemic deluge. To me, the apt-get process needs a persistent process. Windows does persistent downloads. I am certain Linux has a similar feature.

I will setup the configuration as described. I was looking forward to the updates. Not getting anything for days was my issue.
4 years 23 hours ago #52077

You can take a look at so called "unattended upgrades". This will run the process in the background and download and install upgrades for you. It is disabled in Astroberry as many users would get crazy about upgrades running during an astro-session in the middle of night somewhere in the field, where they share internet connection from their mobiles ;-)
4 years 18 hours ago #52087

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.547 seconds