INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:INDI driver "indi_eqmod_telescope" crashed! URGENT

• Thank you received: 7
Hi Duncan,
was it a stellarmate update or an INDILib update?
Thomas
3 years 11 months ago #52337

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Thomas,
this was an IndiLib update. I just ran the 'sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y'. This command actually installed what I thought was installed last night. This time it installed everything correctly.
A huge relief on my side as you can image with the wonderful weather I do no want to miss a night :-)
Regards, Duncan
Duncan Warren
StellarMate, EQ6-R Pro, Orion RC8, Celestron 130 SLT
3 years 11 months ago #52338

Yes, after this update it does not crash any more. What was the reason?
Thomas
3 years 11 months ago #52347

• Thank you received: 420
There could be a number of reasons but the most important one is: it is a nightly build that is not stable. You are not supposed to use this for actual imaging. If and when you do so, you do this at your own risk.

Wouter
3 years 11 months ago #52350

I do not know the reason but I found an old link from Jasem Mutlak (which I cannot find anymore).
Anyway, Jasem said to try the updates I mentioned. I should say that I tried these commands last night and they did not work.

At the end of the day I am happy that both of us have working systems.
Thomas, you have a nice web page by the way, lovely pictures.

Duncan
Duncan Warren
3 years 11 months ago #52351

Hi Wouter,

how do we determine which version we are updating? Do you mean that we should not use the command line for updates? I am curious as I would like to stop a repeat of last night, any advice is appreciated.

Duncan
Duncan Warren
3 years 11 months ago #52354

• Thank you received: 420
Duncan,

Normally you are supposed to use the stable releases as explained at the start of this page:

indilib.org/download/ubuntu.html

If one uses the nightly builds, as explained further down on the same page, then one can run into issues. This is independent of how you apply the updates (command line, gui). If this error was introduced in the stable release then it may indicate that there was a problem with the build process which now seems to have been corrected.

Wouter
3 years 11 months ago #52357

Hello Wouter,
I cannot agree. I am very sure that I was on stable ppa. To troubleshoot I switched to nighty built and than back. Both sides produce the bug.
Thomas
3 years 11 months ago #52360

• Thank you received: 375
Let me move this topic to General forum if it is not related to Astroberry ;-)
There is number of people that still do not use Raspberry as their hardware platform so this could be useful for them too.
3 years 11 months ago #52366

Hi Wouter,

thanks for the feedback, that is a very useful link, which I have now bookmarked. I had a look at my sources.list files and cannot see any reference to the nightly build, but then again I am am not a Linux guru.

In the future if this problem happens again at least we know how to get out of it.

Again, thanks for your time and assistance.

Duncan
Duncan Warren
3 years 11 months ago #52369

• Thank you received: 301
The reason you had this issue is that indi and indi-3rdparty need to built in sequence. This means indi must be built, then installed, then indi-3rdparty must be built against the libraries and headers of indi, then installed.

Because the nightly builds are unstable, it may happen that indi-3rdparty does not build, but indi does, or both build but are not available at the same time. So when you update, you find yourself with two builds that cannot talk to each other. I agree that this should NOT happen. But fact is that indi-eqmod is one of these drivers which cannot survive this situation.

Nightly builds are there to validate what developers push to the repository. If you want to remain on the bleeding edge of INDI, you should be building the two nightly trees in sequence yourself, with the risk that one would not build, and roll back when that happens.

This is a uncommon situation, but it happens.

-Eric
3 years 11 months ago #52752

Hello Eric,
thanks for your reply. But for clarification, I am quite quite sure, that I have never night INDI builts on my laptop before.
Thomas
3 years 11 months ago #52788

Time to create page: 0.772 seconds