INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Help - Unable to connect Zwo ASI 1600MM

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic Help - New to Astoberry

I know you were not asking me, but,

The ASI1600MM is a great CMOS camera. I don't think you will be disappointed.

The Esprit 120 Pro is also on my wish-list - once we are over the current issues worldwide, and I can look at the bank balance with confidence, it's my next purchase (along with the necessary accessories).
3 years 11 months ago #52609

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I would just like to thank everyone for their help to-date on this one.

I am now starting to understand RPI & Astroberry. I'll set everything up and will proceed to attach one piece of equipment to the software at a time so I can ensure it is working properly before moving onto the next one.

Thanks again

Doug
3 years 11 months ago #52610

Thanks,

I've been using a modified DSLR for many years and took a punt on the ASI 1600MM, Starlight express filter wheel and filters. I think the camera itself will be a big learning curve as I'm use to doing 5 - 10 min subs when at a dark site and I understand you can use much shorter subs with this camera.

Doug
3 years 11 months ago #52612

Hi,

Just a quick question, when coming out of Astroberry do I use 'Shutdown' or 'Disconnect' or doesn't it matter.

Thanks

Doug
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Douglas Mason.
3 years 11 months ago #52613

Shutdown to preserve your file-system integrity if powering off, disconnect if you are going to leave it turned on and connect to it later.
3 years 11 months ago #52615

• Thank you received: 420

Yes, the camera rocks! I have the Pro version which has more internal memory than the original Cool version.

I think the best piece of advise I can give you for the camera is: try to always use the same gain, offset and sensor temperature. I use gain 75, offset 12 and temperature 10 degrees Celcius for all my images.

Second best piece of advise: always use exposure times that you choose from a pre-selected list of possibilities, like 30, 60, 90, 120, 300 and 600 seconds. That way you can create a dark library by taking, say, 60 dark images for each exposure time and create master darks for those. Those master darks you then can reuse for processing of all your images. Shoot a new library maybe once per year or two years depending on if you see new hot pixels pop up and you're set.

Third best piece of advise: if you remove the camera from the telescope after each imaging session then FIRST take flats. And in that case ALWAYS take flats. Dust specks move when you remove the camera and it WILL mess up your images at some point in time. If you keep the camera on the telescope then this is less important and you can reuse your (master) flats for a while.

Clear skies, Wouter
3 years 11 months ago #52616

I have been doing:

Unity Gain : 139
Exposure: 180s
Offset: ???s
Temp: -5 C

But now that wouter has revealed his settings to us, I might try his :-)

It all depends on your particular astronomical conditions.
3 years 11 months ago #52618

Yes it does but I try to handle that by only varying the exposure time :)
3 years 11 months ago #52635

Thanks

Doug
3 years 11 months ago #52638

Thank you very much for this information it will be most helpful.

I see you use a temp of 10 degrees Celsius, is there any particular reason for this as a lot of people appear to use from what I've read - 10 to -20 degrees celcius or does it depend on your ambient temperature.

Once ive sorted my equipment out I'll make a dark library as you suggest.

Thanks again

Doug
3 years 11 months ago #52639

Sorry, typo. I use -10 degrees!!!
3 years 11 months ago #52642

• Thank you received: 375

This is correct. You can assign priority to each network connection so it is activated only is higher priority networks are not available. Default order for Astroberry is: wire, wireless, hotspot.
By the way IP 10.42.0.x addresses are used by hotspot only. If you are connected via wire or wireless to other networks you Astroberry gets IP address from these networks. That's why it is not available under 10.42.0.1 while connected to other networks. So if you use in your home network e.g. 192.168.1.x addresses, Astroberry will be assigned one of these. You can check the actual IP address either on home router OR by ping astroberry.local OR using a mobile app which can find raspberry in your home network.
3 years 11 months ago #52664

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.854 seconds