INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Help - Unable to connect Zwo ASI 1600MM

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Douglas Mason on topic Wireless Internet

Thanks for the reply.

I'm certain the SSID and password I'm entering have been entered correctly but I'll double check and I'll also check the configuration file as you suggest. The Rpi is about a foot from the internet access point.

Another thing I've noticed is that the country details for the internet does not remain as GB or UK, I cannot remember which. I enter the details along with location, keyboard etc and save them. I then reboot as required and the next time I look it is showing none set under internet.

When you reboot are you meant to connect again as I'm having to do this or should it reboot like windows.

The wired connection is this to the router or laptop.

Doug
3 years 11 months ago #52766

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic Wireless Internet

There is something weird going on when running the Pi4 at 64 bit. I have the same problem that the 5GHz network is not being picked up UNLESS I am also attaching a USB WiFi dongle to one of the USB2 port and have it connect to my 2.4 GHz network. As soon as I have that connection, my 5 GHz network is recognized by the Pi4 and I can disconnect from the 2.4 GHz network. That is when I am running the Pi4 on Ubuntu MATE and 64 bit.
I then recently installed the 32 bit version that Alex Varakin posted on GitHub and with that the connection problems disappeared. I recreated exactly the same environment using Ubuntu MATE, same access details, everything. Suddenly the 5 GHz connection works without the dongle crutch.
There are some quirks going on with the 64 bit OS versions on the Pi4 that I haven't figured out yet.
Looks to me like you have hit on the same problem. If you have a 2.4 GHz WiFi dongle that works on the Pi4, try whether that makes a difference.
3 years 11 months ago #52777

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Douglas Mason.
3 years 11 months ago #52800
Attachments:

Hi,

In order to try and resolve the issues with my Wi-Fi I ran the following script to look for the available Wi-Fi networks as picked up by my RPI. sudo iwlist wlan0 scan.

This gave me a list of networks which included my 2.4ghz wireless network on Channel 11 and 5ghz wireless network on Channel 36 as per the below images .

so it is clear that the RPI is seeing my wirless networks its just not connecting to them.

I then went into Advanced Wireless networks and checked my SSID and password and these are both correct and finally I went and checked the country code, even though I set this to GB it shows not set and it does this each time I try to set it, not sure if this is a problem.

I then ran the script you sent me to check the configuration for the name and password stored in it and for some reason this did not appear to work or did not show anything as per the below image.

It is clear that there is a problem with Raspian and my RPI4 and why it wont connect to y wireless internet, it may be as per the previous post about 64bit OS .

Doug
3 years 11 months ago #52801
Attachments:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I'm at a loss but as you say there does appear to be something going on with PI4 and 64 bit OS.

I'm not the best with computers but I've done a few tests today and my PI4 can see both my 2.4ghz and 5 ghz wirless networks but it will not connect to them. I've got it to connect via ethernet and I can see the hotspot and can use this to connect to the PI4 ybut it will not connect by wireless. I've checked and double checked my settings and password and these are correct.

I'm not good enough with computers to work this out.

When you say you used a 2.4ghz dongle did you put this into the USB 2 port and turn your PI4 on so it booted up and then you were able to log in via your wireless internet. I've found a 2.4ghz wireless mouse dongle and I want to give this a go to see if it is the same problem you've encountered is happening to me even though I'm using Raspian Buster based software.

Thanks

Doug
3 years 11 months ago #52802

Hi Doug,

Yes, just plug a 2.4 GHz WiFi dongle into the USB2 ports. Whether the mouse dongle works, I have no idea, but it can't hurt testing that. If the reason is some sort of electronic interference that can be relieved by putting a 2.4 GHz device in there, then the mouse dongle might work. Easy enough to test, though.

You are describing the same thing I am seeing. When I connect my Pi4 to my monitor, I can see the networks, I can click on them, I can see it trying to connect and then time out. The moment I plug in that external dongle, it will connect and now the 5 GHz network will also come up right away. At that point I can disconnect the 2.4 GHz network again and the 5 GHz connection still remains stable and very fast (433 Mb/s).

I thought that what was required was the network connection via the 2.4 GHz wifi, but if you are connected by Ethernet and the WiFi still does not connect, that hypothesis is getting less likely. Maybe what is going on is a combination of what Doug Summers wrote regarding interference.
However, that is also strange, because why would that disappear when I use a 32 bit OS on the RPi. Moreover, not every user seems to have that problem.

At any rate, don't despair! Once you have gotten your Pi4 up and running you will no longer want to miss it. It totally transforms how you can do astrophotography.

If you have a spare micro SD card, try Alex Varakin's installation as well and see if that fixes the problem for you. I find that it runs as fast from the micro SD card as my 64-bit installation runs from the SSD.

Good luck!

Jo
3 years 11 months ago #52805

Look at the bright side: You WILL have become very good with computers once you work this out. :-)
3 years 11 months ago #52807

• Thank you received: 74

Replied by Clive Stachon on topic Wireless Internet

Some corrections :-

RPI4B is a 64bit capable processor and so was the RPI3B+

No Raspbian O/S with GUI, supported by the RP Foundation is 64bit (at present) but there are other O/S that use the RPI4 64bit kernel. However Astroberry is based on the standard Raspbian 32bit O/S so for the moment thats it.

The introduction of the WiFi standard to include the International code was put in ,wrongly IMO, because the frequencies/bands differ country to country. This causes problems if the Wifi country code is wrong.

Have you tried just using RASPI-CONFIG (lower case) to change the WiFi Country Code ?

Plus look at GITHUB for a possible cure and what others are reporting - e.g. github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1246
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
3 years 11 months ago #52809

Thanks, stash!
I am not saying that it is a 64 bit problem, I merely found the problem manifest itself when I am using Ubuntu MATE 64 bit version, but not when I am using the 32 bit version.
All other settings are identical, password, etc.
I am wondering whether the problem might lie in a configuration of the network-manager that I have not found. Clearly, the Pi4 can connect, but only after applying the external dongle crutch. I can see it trying to connect, but it never establishes one until the external 2.4 GHz connection becomes alive, then the internal 5 GHz connection will also latch on.
If someone could point me to which configuration file might be causing this, that would be great.
At any rate, it looks like Doug hit on exactly the same problem with a very different installation, so I am hoping to learn from that so I can fix the issue in mine.
3 years 11 months ago #52811

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic Wireless Internet

It is a long time ago now, but I did have a particular problem with the initial install of Astroberry, I did post the way I resolved that issue, but it appears that my specific problems were not being experienced by others and people shouldn't try to execute the fix that I did (my fix remains in place and since using it I have not had a problem connecting to my Wifi or Ethernet).

The fix was:

#Disable DHCPCD
sudo systemctl stop dhcpcd
sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd

After doing the above I found I still got an IP address via DHCP via Network Manager, but the Default Gateway ceased to be reset to 0.0.0.0 (which meant I did not have Internet access after connecting).

Reverting the above change (in case you try it out, is a case of):

sudo systemctl enable dhcpcd
sudo systemctl start dhcpcd

Disclaimer: As mentioned others recommended I did not do the above, but I have not had an issues after quite a few imaging sessions, and it fixed a lot for me YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
3 years 11 months ago #52815

• Thank you received: 375

You're missing a space after "cat"
3 years 11 months ago #52821

Thanks, I'll try again

Doug
3 years 11 months ago #52825

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.046 seconds