INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Fault Tolerance

• Thank you received: 1

Fault Tolerance was created by Jason Dain

Last night while imaging, a bank of clouds rolled through and my imaging session aborted due to PHD2 losing its guide star. Is there any way to set some kind of retry interval or something to try again after a period of time? It would be great if one cloud or other fault wouldn't ruin a while night of imaging. I suppose I could wake up periodically and check on things but I'm looking for a more automated solution.

Thanks
3 years 10 months ago #55324

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Jerry Black on topic Fault Tolerance

Were you using the Scheduler or the CCD image sequence?
In the scheduler there is an option to reschedule errors. I haven't tried this option, but if I have interpreted it correctly, it may allow you to restart your session if you have an error like guiding.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Jerry Black.
3 years 10 months ago #55325

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Jason Dain on topic Fault Tolerance

I was using the CCD Image sequence but will check out the Scheduler. Thanks
3 years 10 months ago #55326

• Thank you received: 31

Replied by Paul on topic Fault Tolerance

Jdain,

You are lucky, the last two times this happened to me; kstars aborted.

The scheduler was running and I was sleeping. I woke up to cloud and found PHD2 running with a lost guide star error but no Kstars.

Unfortunately I did not have sufficient logging enabled.

Paul
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Paul.
3 years 10 months ago #55329

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Fault Tolerance

Fault tolerance on the PHD2 link is not up to the task yet. You would maybe get more consistent results using the internal guider. I'm in the process of writing tests for this interface, further activities will probably improve the situation.

If PHD2 is connected to the mount first, device configuration will not be loaded by anyone.
If PHD2 fails calibration, it may just start looping without ever notifying the failure.
If a device is disconnected or its driver restarts, PHD2 will not recover the connection nor do the actual device connection by itself, and Ekos won't ask PHD2 to do it.
Also sometimes the driver connection will just fail on PHD2 side, and Ekos won't be able to recover.

So, a small list of hiccups that currently make guiding automation very instable. Add to this your KStars/Ekos crashes, and the outcome is cloudy. But, optimistic still :)

-Eric
3 years 10 months ago #55430

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds