INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4

• Thank you received: 5
KStars has just released a new update to 3.4.3. How do I update it on my Raspberry Pi 4 running Astroberry on Raspbian Buster.
The apt-get update and apt-get upgrade commands don't update Kstars.

Can anyone help?
3 years 8 months ago #57099

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140
It will do as soon as the Astroberry repositories have been updated with the new version....it’s normally a week or so after the actual release, probably to give time for bugs to be sorted... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Thompson
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by AstroNerd.
3 years 8 months ago #57100

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

Very easy. Open terminal.

Use: sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

I just did this today. The update to 3.4.3 occurred. RPI4B with 4G of ram.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hartmut
3 years 8 months ago #57124

• Thank you received: 50

I copied you today, but unfortunately most of my USB connected devices (cameras, focuser etc.) have disappeared from Ekos!
3 years 8 months ago #57186

• Thank you received: 18
is there a particular build for Pi 4 8Gb ? I have the astroberry apt repo added according to www.astroberry.io/repo/
but no update/upgrade: KStars stays at 3.4.2
3 years 8 months ago #57189

Same here. I thought it was just me.

I even tried doing a full clean install of Astroberry and it still came with Kstars 3.4.2.

Guess will just have to wait until the repository it updated.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by David Thompson.
3 years 8 months ago #57198

• Thank you received: 15

Hello,

I seem to have to fix my RS232 ports often after updates. At the present, I think I have a truce working between three parties, the OS, hardware, and INDI. Raspbian OS updates came with 3.4.3. Udevadm rules seem to be the issue.

Use: lsusb -v. The results are used to build a rule. Reload rules and then Trigger are enabled. Using monitor never shows the rule to be found. Every udevadm site shows udevadm finding the match with simple identification. Mine is simple also. Yet, lsusb shows more data ID_Vendor and ID_Product than just hex values.

I think I see a disconnect between Use: lsusb -v -d Vendor:Product and Use: sudo udevadm test -a add $(udevadm info -q path /dev/ttyACM0)

lsusb-ID_Vendor <> udevadm-ID_MODEL_ID

The content is the same. To me, this suggests that udevadm has changed its presentation criteria. The old method is LSUSB data. The new method is UDEVADM. I did not read that in the update notes of the next release.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by John Robison.
3 years 8 months ago #57204

Well - the update/upgrade definitely ‘changed’ something that messed up my USB configuration. However I have been a bit more rigorous by adding devices one at a time and it seems to be the Pegasus Astro PPB which triggers the issue. However if I connect it directly to one of the RPi4 USB2.0 ports, instead of to the TLink powered USB3.0 hub, all seems to be well. If I recall well, at least one of us has had a similar issue with a Pegasus Astro box interfering with WiFi.
3 years 8 months ago #57283

In the end, I decided to compile from source code. Once I got the dependencies sorted it all compiled well, it took a little time. Now I have the latest bleeding-edge 3.5 release !!
So problem solved.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by David Thompson.
3 years 7 months ago #57466

• Thank you received: 4

I pretty much do "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt upgrade" daily on my Raspberry Pi (with Astroberry) hoping to update KStars to the latest version. Like you, no luck. I really want to see/try the new features.

Could you explain me the steps to update it the way you did? I don't know anything about Linux, so don't take anything for granted, please! A step by step guide, with all the commands needed, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
3 years 7 months ago #57467

And I, please!!
3 years 7 months ago #57469

Well here goes these are the steps that worked for me. Hope this helps but I have to say that you follow them at your own risk.
I am certainly no Linux expert and I am using a RPi4 running the latest version of RPi OS.
All the commands following are typed in a terminal window after the $ prompt. I have shown them in large font

Since RPi OS is a version of Debian I followed the steps on the link below for Debian.
If you copy and paste this into your browser it will give more info.
techbase.kde.org/Projects/Edu/KStars/Bui...ing_various_versions

The first thing is to make sure you have all the prerequisites and dependencies.
So open Terminal and type the following command, probably easiest to copy and paste it using the right mouse button. This is all one line it is just wrapping in the viewer.

sudo apt-get -y install build-essential cmake git libeigen3-dev libcfitsio-dev zlib1g-dev libindi-dev extra-cmake-modules libkf5plotting-dev libqt5svg5-dev libkf5xmlgui-dev kio-dev kinit-dev libkf5newstuff-dev kdoctools-dev libkf5notifications-dev qtdeclarative5-dev libkf5crash-dev gettext libnova-dev libgsl-dev libraw-dev libkf5notifyconfig-dev wcslib-dev libqt5websockets5-dev xplanet xplanet-images qt5keychain-dev libsecret-1-dev breeze-icon-theme

You will be asked for your password which in my case was the default

It might ask you to confirm some things as it runs just type Y if prompted.

When it's done you will be returned to the Terminal prompt $

Create and change into a KDE development directory:
mkdir ~/kde && cd ~/kde

Fetch the KStars source code: this site converts links to green characters so make sure that you copy and paste the following line:
git clone anongit.kde.org/kstars

Create and change into a build directory for compilation:
mkdir build && cd build

The next steps will take some time so get a coffee

Run the configure process with cmake:
cmake ../kstars -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr

Compile KStars:
make

Install KStars:

sudo make install

Thats it.

To get updates in future its very easy
cd ~/kde/kstars
Git pull —rebase

Good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette, Joaquin, jiberjaber
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by David Thompson.
3 years 7 months ago #57471

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.017 seconds