INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4

• Thank you received: 0
Thanks.
I don't see it listed in the details of 1.8.6 so it will probably be at least 1.8.7 before it is included.

I tried compiling my own driver but since I am new to this I was unsuccessful. I can wait.
Camera works fine on my Win7 laptop and Win10 Desktop.

My RPi 4B controls my Celestron NexStar GoTo mount and am planning on having it control my camera as well.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Doug MacGregor.
3 years 7 months ago #58990

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 69
Radek, who maintains Astroberry, will see this and be able to advise.

In my experience, he keeps to the stable versions, and holds back the releases after the kstars/indi main release for a week or so after the mainstream releases, this, in my opinion, is prudent, but I'm sure he's also quite a busy person.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug MacGregor
3 years 7 months ago #58991

• Thank you received: 375
SVBONY SV305 is included in the latest INDI update to 1.8.6
3 years 7 months ago #59158

I don't see it listed at the top of the page in the list of additions/changes.

Thanks
3 years 7 months ago #59168

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

As an AstroBerry user, I checked KSTARS under Device Manager. I see svBony as a CCD option. With the svBony device attached and Device Manager on svBony, start the service. If the device is recognized, then 1.8.6 does have this device. If not, then a simple LSUSB command should identify the device. Next, a rule may need to be tweaked to get INDI to see the device. Sometimes, 1 digit off is enough for a rule to fail. “*” are useful for any digit provided all load sequences are the same.

I have to use two sets of rules for my QHYCCD devices. When plugged in, the product is one number. When the firmware is loaded, the product number changes. Reboots are when the trouble starts.
3 years 7 months ago #59191

That driver is for the SV103 & SV205 cameras.
A new driver was being written for the SV305.
The existing SVBONY driver does not work for the SV305.
The current information I have is that the driver work is finished and is waiting to be included in the PPA and OS's such as StellarMate and Astroberry, both of which use KStars/Ekos.

Check the last few posts in this thread...

www.indilib.org/forum/wish-list/6373-ind...meras.html?start=120

When Kaczorek made the statement that 1.8.6 included a driver for the SV305 I was confused because it doesn't appear in the list of additions/changes listed for 1.8.6.

lsusb shows the device but not the name/manufacturer. That is another issue entirely and does not affect the driver.
3 years 7 months ago #59192

Hello,

Thank you for the link. The last post by Jasem said the PPA has the new driver. Has this update been applied? This rule is in the 1.8.6 update. Does it not work? LSUSB will only display what a vendor gives it to display. LSUSB is old school. Some vendors put details in other fields. LSUSB -v will show details.

#===============================================================================
# Udev rules for SVBONY SV305 Cameras
#===============================================================================

KERNEL=="*", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ACTION=="add", ATTR{idVendor}=="f266", MODE="666", TAG="ckusb_dev", A"
KERNEL=="*", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ACTION=="remove", TAG=="ckusb_dev", R"
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by John Robison.
3 years 7 months ago #59193

Are you asking me if I have applied the update yet?

I did a sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade.

Is that what you are referring to?

I understand the limitations of lsusb.

Note: Kaczorek just notified me of the following..

indilib.org/forum/astroberry/7591-driver...05-camera.html#59167

Curious...where did you pull those rules from?
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Doug MacGregor.
3 years 7 months ago #59196
Attachments:

Hello,

These statements possibly mislead me to believe that help was warranted. The link provided said the driver was completed. To get the driver, an update was required. My comments were to confirm and assist. I do apologize.

I can confirm that the sv305 is included in Version 1.8.6 of 3rdParty drivers. Artifacts do exist of its inclusion. Version 1.8.6 and AstroBerry Updates resolved my issues with GPSD and QHYCCD cameras.
3 years 7 months ago #59199

No problem.

If it is included, why is it not listed? Other cameras are listed.
You say "artifacts do exist". Could you please point them out?

If the driver for the SV305 is indeed included in the 1.8.6 update, how do I get it?
Standard "apt" or "apt-get" or should I download the Astroberry image again and start from scratch?
3 years 7 months ago #59200

Hello,

First, the INDI driver name is based on the family. My QHYCCD driver is indi_qhy_ccd. The rules setup the firmware upon which the driver interfaces.

The current location of CCD rules with AstroBerry is /etc/udev/rules.d. For svBony, the rule is 90-svBony.rules. All others are 99. This makes it stick out. Given the rule commands, the rule checks to see if is connected. That is all. This might suggest that a custom rule might be required.

Open a terminal.

Use: dmesg | grep “usb”

The command above should list out all USB booting commands. This device should be listed. This will confirm the OS recognizes the device. That is a start.

The next step is to review the svBony site. A review of comments claims svBony was developing drivers for Linux, Windows, and MAC. INDI is dependent on vendors providing driver support. If INDI doesn’t have a driver, a vendor hasn’t provided the method.

As I said, the rule “tickles” the presence of the device. Then it quits. Not all cameras have the same method. QHYCCD requires firmware to be loaded before use. At the present, the rule provided doesn’t load firmware. Rules can be scripted to do specific things.

We may have to wait for svBony to help INDI out. In the meantime, svBony has a Linux software for the RPI. Use this to see if the device is functioning. Sometimes, a HEX file (firmware) is given. The load sequence can then be determined.

www.svbony.com/blog/update-sv305-camera-...mx-capture-for-linux
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by John Robison.
3 years 7 months ago #59203

Thanks Arado!

First - The command worked and gave the results shown in the first attachment.

Second - SVBONY contracted with Jasem Mutlaq and others to develop a driver based on a supplied SDK.

github.com/thx8411/indi-3rdparty/tree/master/indi-sv305

According to this thread...

www.indilib.org/forum/wish-list/6373-ind...meras.html?start=120

The work has been completed.

And lastly I was waiting for AstroDMx Capture to be supported on the RPi and it looks like it was completed today (Aug 31).

So I just downloaded it and installed it and it found my SV305!!!! (the 32-bit Debian install)

So now I know the driver works.

Maybe I'll just use that instead of KStars/Ekos, except I have to learn it and find out if it supports the client/server model. I have some reading to do.

As far as KStars is concerned I guess they will be updating their software soon as well. And it does support the client\server model. (Windows 10/RPi 4B).

Thanks so much. Now I can remote to my camera instead of taking my Windows laptop outside and remoting to that (TeamViewer).

Note: I will check out the "rules" files tomorrow.

Cheers
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Doug MacGregor. Reason: clarification on which installer downloaded
3 years 7 months ago #59207
Attachments:

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.988 seconds