INDI Library v1.8.6 Released (21 Aug 2020)

August 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.6 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4

1 month 3 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57580
@wornish So as of a couple of hours ago, and thanks to your encouragement, I appear to have a working set up with KStars 3.5.0 (as reported from the Help setting) running on a fully updated Raspberry Pi OS booting from a Sandisk Extreme SSD. I have found a workaround for the USB ‘problem’ thanks mostly to trial and error after suggestions from @kross. The precise mechanism which sometimes means that lsusb doesn’t list Bus 001 devices, is as yet unexplained, but I am back to a situation where everything appears to be functioning again - the only changes being that a couple of the USB cables are plugged into different ports on the 7-port tp-link powered USB3.0 hub. So now I can struggle to get to grips with the new KStars features!

Currently running KStars/Ekos/Indi on a Raspberry Pi 4B 2GByte under Raspbian thanks to Astroberry
Sky-Watcher ED80 Pro with 0.85x FR/Corrector with Canon DSLR on AZ-EQ5 GT mount
Other Sky-Watcher scopes - SkyMax 150 Pro Maksutov Cassegrain and Explorer 150p Newtonian
The following user(s) said Thank You wornish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 weeks ago 1 month 3 weeks ago by AradoSKYindi.
AradoSKYindi
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57585
Hello,

Before the update, I was at 3.4.3. After the update, I was testing hardware. I was not concerned about version. I was happy to see rules working. I will verify the version and report back. Right now, it is packed up until the next clear day.

1 month 3 weeks ago
jiberjaber
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57670
Thanks Wornish and Hy - followed both your details and I am now at 3.5.0

I note I had to use a different URL in the initial git pull - I just clicked on the URL and then copy and pasted what it actually resolved to.

Thanks!

1 month 3 weeks ago 1 month 3 weeks ago by TomAstro.
TomAstro
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57672
3.5.0?????????????????????????????? ahh..okay. It is indinightly.

1 month 3 weeks ago
endlessky
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57677
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing: if 3.4.3 just got released, how can they have 3.5.0? That explains it.

With that said, what's new in 3.5.0 that didn't make it into 3.4.3? I am curious.

1 month 3 weeks ago
gilesco
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57679

endlessky wrote: Yeah, I was wondering the same thing: if 3.4.3 just got released, how can they have 3.5.0? That explains it.

With that said, what's new in 3.5.0 that didn't make it into 3.4.3? I am curious.

It's not 3.5.0, after releasing 3.4.3 Jaseem changed the version in the development source code to prepare for a 3.5.0 release, the version they have is just a few source code commits different from 3.4.3 and not to be considered stable.

__
I blog my progress: www.coochey.net

1 month 3 weeks ago
TomAstro
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57680
okay. Will never want to upgrade mine to that 3.5.0 first. Unless you wish to solve issues the whole night. I am running on a stable version nowadays. :) Good luck guys.

1 month 3 weeks ago 1 month 3 weeks ago by Avocette.
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57681

TomAstro wrote: okay. Will never want to upgrade mine to that 3.5.0 first. Unless you wish to solve issues the whole night. I am running on a stable version nowadays. :) Good luck guys.

Perhaps you could be a bit more constructive and help those of us who didn’t know we were compiling ‘indinightly’ to reach the stable version of 3.4.3? Many thanks in advance!

Currently running KStars/Ekos/Indi on a Raspberry Pi 4B 2GByte under Raspbian thanks to Astroberry
Other Sky-Watcher scopes - SkyMax 150 Pro Maksutov Cassegrain and Explorer 150p Newtonian
The following user(s) said Thank You jiberjaber

1 month 3 weeks ago
gilesco
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57682

Avocette wrote:

TomAstro wrote: okay. Will never want to upgrade mine to that 3.5.0 first. Unless you wish to solve issues the whole night. I am running on a stable version nowadays. :) Good luck guys.

Perhaps you could be a bit more constructive and help those of us who didn’t know we were compiling ‘indinightly’ to reach the stable version of 3.4.3? Many thanks in advance!

You want to look at the commits invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/commits/master

Then go to the version that relates to the 3.4.3 release and clone that, rather than cloning the latest version in git.

They (the developers) don't appear to tag versions in git, but this is bleeding-edge kstars, so really, you're already running beta, even if not nightly.

__
I blog my progress: www.coochey.net
The following user(s) said Thank You jiberjaber

1 month 3 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57683
Many thanks for the clarifications. I certainly would prefer not be be cutting edge! I now have a second SSD running the simple June Astroberry 2.0.2 image (KStars 3.4.2) which continues to serve me well.

1 month 2 weeks ago
Kaczorek
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57769
Hi guys! I'm still here and alive ;-)
As already noted I will be releasing update very soon (probably this weekend). I need to look closer to USB issues caused by latest kernel upgrade first.
Stay safe!

--
Radek Kaczorek
Astroberry Server | NEQ6 | Atik 460EX | Atik EFW2 | ASI 120MM
The following user(s) said Thank You Avocette, gilesco, jiberjaber, Railley

1 month 2 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57774
We never doubted it - welcome back and hope you had a good break!
The 'USB issues' are still a challenge and I don't always find the simple 'everything's working' situation that I did a couple of months ago Even with a revertion to the June Astroberry 2.0.2 image, I am now struggling to keep my Pegasus Astro PPB behaving as it did. The PPB contains a FTDI USB to serial adapter and after months of working without even knowing that, now it doesn't want to work anymore even when I move to more favoured ports on my powered USB 3.0 hub. @dmsummers often warns us to make sure we have enough power on hand especially during the powering up current inrush moments and I am wondering if the new kernel could have inadvertently increased the current demand of the RPi4 during booting which may be influencing my results. Perhaps my power distribution and USB connections work marginal before.
The one upgrade I have had to make is to the RPi-eeprom-image or else my RPi reverts to the April 16 bootloader which (I think) is part of the AStroberry 2.0.2 image. If this happens I cannot use a USB connected SSD copy to boot.

Moderators: Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.872 seconds