INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4

• Thank you received: 69

You want to look at the commits invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/commits/master

Then go to the version that relates to the 3.4.3 release and clone that, rather than cloning the latest version in git.

They (the developers) don't appear to tag versions in git, but this is bleeding-edge kstars, so really, you're already running beta, even if not nightly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jiberjaber
3 years 7 months ago #57682

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 50
Many thanks for the clarifications. I certainly would prefer not be be cutting edge! I now have a second SSD running the simple June Astroberry 2.0.2 image (KStars 3.4.2) which continues to serve me well.
3 years 7 months ago #57683

• Thank you received: 375
Hi guys! I'm still here and alive ;-)
As already noted I will be releasing update very soon (probably this weekend). I need to look closer to USB issues caused by latest kernel upgrade first.
Stay safe!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette, Giles, jiberjaber, Marco
3 years 7 months ago #57769

We never doubted it - welcome back and hope you had a good break!
The 'USB issues' are still a challenge and I don't always find the simple 'everything's working' situation that I did a couple of months ago Even with a revertion to the June Astroberry 2.0.2 image, I am now struggling to keep my Pegasus Astro PPB behaving as it did. The PPB contains a FTDI USB to serial adapter and after months of working without even knowing that, now it doesn't want to work anymore even when I move to more favoured ports on my powered USB 3.0 hub. @dmsummers often warns us to make sure we have enough power on hand especially during the powering up current inrush moments and I am wondering if the new kernel could have inadvertently increased the current demand of the RPi4 during booting which may be influencing my results. Perhaps my power distribution and USB connections work marginal before.
The one upgrade I have had to make is to the RPi-eeprom-image or else my RPi reverts to the April 16 bootloader which (I think) is part of the AStroberry 2.0.2 image. If this happens I cannot use a USB connected SSD copy to boot.
3 years 7 months ago #57774

Update has been just pushed to Astroberry repository. Have fun!

PS. if you encounter missing devices on any USB port see this post indilib.org/forum/stellarmate/7374-no-as...ct-port-mapping.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: jiberjaber
3 years 7 months ago #57961

I hope I’m not making a premature judgement, but it’s possible that the very latest RPi kernel updates installed yesterday but dated 2020-07-11 may have sorted the FTDI USB device issue. At least I have booted my equipment three times without warning messages about the Pegasus Astro PPB disconnecting. The PPB features an FTDI USB to serial chip.
3 years 7 months ago #58239

Well - I've had a happy and trouble free eleven days with all my equipment working well including especially the Pegasus Astro PPB with its FDTI chip. Unfortunately, last night it was back to the old problems again i.e. if I even plug the USB cable from the PPB to the USB3.0 hub, then all the USB 2.0 devices disappear both from lsusb and in Ekos there are error messages about failures to connect to other devices. What to do now??
3 years 7 months ago #58880

Did you run any updates/upgrades on your system? None has been released for Astroberry in the meatime.
3 years 7 months ago #58883

Not since the one which seemed to ‘fix’ the issue that I referred to in the post. After that the RPi was never connected to the internet and was always used in HotSpot mode.
3 years 7 months ago #58885

So I tried putting an old microSD card last used in March into the RPi in place of the 'mostly working' SSD. lsusb didn't recognise the FTDI device from the Pegasus PPB either and there were the usual hystrionics where neither the Sky-Watcher EQMOD mount nor the PPB were present in Ekos/Indi. So I replaced the SSD and was preparing for just working with the PPB disconnected from the USB hub since I only use this to monitor the temperature and humidity during a capture run - dew heater control is preset to be automatic in any case. However on switch on I ran lsusb and there was the FTDI device along with all the others. A subsequernt check and all devices were connected and working in Ekos/Indi. So in the meantime the only thing I had done was to remove the USB cable from the PPB to the hub and ultimately plugged it back in and all was working again. Here is the lsusb device list:
astroberry@astroberry:~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0781:558c SanDisk Corp.
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 03c3:533f
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0bda:0411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:0411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0403:6015 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd Bridge(I2C/SPI/UART/FIFO)
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 03c3:120e
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 04b4:6572 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04d8:fac2 Microchip Technology, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:5411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:5411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
3 years 7 months ago #58914

• Thank you received: 0
I downloaded AstroBerry 2.0.0 a couple of weeks ago and I just did sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade.

My version of KStars shows 3.4.3, which successfully upgraded from 3.4.2.

However, I have seen references to version 3.5.0 here.

Should I be able to download/update to that version?
3 years 6 months ago #58986

• Thank you received: 69

Version 3.5.0 is the testing version that you get on the Kstars nightly train, once it is released as stable you will then shortly find it available on the Astroberry repo.

If you want to go into the testing mode, on astroberry, then you will probably have to compile the program from source.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Giles. Reason: mistake
3 years 6 months ago #58987

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.499 seconds