INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Compatible autoguiding cameras with Astroberry?

• Thank you received: 0
Hi!
I made the switch to astroberry a while ago to start autoguiding. I have been saving some money and wanted to buy a guiding setup soon.
The ZWO ASI120MM/MC/... seem like very popular choices, but by the looks of it, they aren't officially supported on linux by ZWO.
Next option on my list is Omegon 1200b M, but the specs also mention it is compatible with windows, not linux.

So my question is: what are the options for a cheap and reliable guide camera?

Any help is much appreciated!
3 years 7 months ago #58440

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 69
ZWO discourage the use of the ASI120MM because the USB2 interface has had issues in the past, although a compatible firmware is available.

The problem does not apply to the 120MM-S series, which are USB3.

I'm thinking of eventually going with a lodestar, they're more expensive, but I think they are better for guiding.
3 years 7 months ago #58445

• Thank you received: 109
I use a ZWO 290mm for guiding, and am quite fond of it. It just works.
3 years 7 months ago #58452

• Thank you received: 57
I switched from Lodestar to ASI290mm because the Lodestar was so noisy the software kept trying to guide on hot pixels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Giles
3 years 7 months ago #58459

Maybe I'll try the ASI290mm instead, I'm happy with the ZWOs in general, just think the ASI120MM-S might not be good enough to use with the OAG, it is pretty cheap.
3 years 7 months ago #58484

Ooff, I underestimated the cost of astrophotography again.

I was looking for a guide camera that costs less than 200 euro. I guess the ASI120MC-S would be right in budget, but that's a color version.
Would having a color camera be that big of a problem for guiding? I wouldn't mind having the option to shoot planets as well, for which color is recommended.

Just to make sure: If I get a USB 3.0 camera, there should be no problem at all? Does that also count for other brands?
3 years 7 months ago #58489

The USB2.0 problem is specific to ZWO cameras, even specific to the ASI120MM.

I actually use the ASI120MC-S, as when I bought it at the same time of the ASI1600MM-Pro I thought it might be good for planetary imaging. Looking back, as I mostly image DSOs, I would have probably gone for the ASI120MM-S for just a little price difference, but yes, it does guide for me (ASI120MC-S) - I am looking for something that might do better. Maybe a Lodestar or maybe the ASI290MM that was pointed to me earlier.

I suspect that when I do have problems it is more OAG related, it took me a while to get everything par-focal initially - if you're using a guide scope then I'm sure the ASI120MC-S is capable of guiding for you.
3 years 7 months ago #58490

I Use the ZWO ASI120MM.
Works like a charm, in fact, it is the most reliable piece of hardware I own.
I had occasional crashes with the canon DSLR driver or the Ioptron mount driver. But never ever with the guiding camera, not a single time.
3 years 7 months ago #58492

Just a quick note, Dylan gives a good explanation of the 500-rule, which probably applies here:

(It was posted on 1st April)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michiel Desmedt
3 years 7 months ago #58495

If that 500 rule is true, I might as well quit (astro)photography right now, because I do not have that kind of budget at all :(
3 years 7 months ago #58497

I think he means Australian dollars, and it was meant as an April fool. :)

There is plenty of good second hand stuff out there for well under $500 which still retails as expensive. So, with a bit more sincerity, there are ways to do Astro Photography on a budget and still get good results, I started with basic kit, some second hand, some new, and as funds become available I upgrade everything, I intend to let some of my older stuff go second hand as well, but so far I'm still accumulating.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but in short, the more you spend (wisely), the better the results you're likely to get, and perhaps the fewer problems you might have - especially when it comes to all the issues you can have with guiding, auto-focusing, etc...
3 years 7 months ago #58498

• Thank you received: 41
I use a ZWO 120MM-S to guide with OAG. I have used it in this configuration with an F10 Schmidt-cas and currently in an F6.6 refractor set up. I also use it for polar aligning with a 25mm CCTV lens attached like a polemaster (using SharpCap). It is great value and has not given any trouble unlike most of my other equipment :) . You could pick one up pretty cheaply second hand.

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Giles
3 years 7 months ago #58501

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.724 seconds