INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Compatible autoguiding cameras with Astroberry?

• Thank you received: 0

Yeah, I know. There are cheap options, but money definitely matters in this hobby. I always try to cheap out any possible way but it usually has (quite) some backlash and sometimes turns out more expensive.

Anyway, it seems like the 120MM/C-S would work. Unfortunately, I have only (rarely) found usb 2.0 options. But even new they're still affordable.
Next up is finding out how to setup my Star Adventurer to communicate with Ekos, but thats for another topic :)
3 years 7 months ago #58506

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19
Best to stay away from the ASI120MM/C (the puck-shaped units) and their 1¼" profile clones (not the ASI -mini variants but the generic mini-style cameras that are technologically clones of the MM/MC) if you're using an Astroberry or a Raspberry Pi:

www.indilib.org/forum/astroberry/6963-as...s-on-astroberry.html

It just really is hit-or-miss with them.
3 years 7 months ago #58679

• Thank you received: 420
Are you talking about the USB2 version or the USB3 version (i.e. ASI120MM/C-S) here? Because the USB2 versions are known to have issues on modern Linux and Mac systems (and even Windows 10) but the USB3 versions have working flawlessly for me now for several years. I tried 4 different ones on even more different Linux and Mac systems and have never experienced any issue (unless occasionally there was a software issue that was solved here very quickly).

Wouter
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 7 months ago #58681

• Thank you received: 19
I'm referring to the USB2 versions, yes.

The USB3 version, which I referred to as having a 1¼" profile (I believe -S for "slim") are fine. But... the generic T7s are also 1¼" profile, yet they are USB2 and have the same chip as the 120MM/MC USB2.

So to summarize:

ASI120MM/MC USB2 "puck" - stay away
T7/T7C USB2 1¼" profile - stay away
ASI120MM/MC-S USB3 1¼" profile - good to go
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
3 years 7 months ago #58682

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I fully agree.
3 years 7 months ago #58683

• Thank you received: 41
Hi
I don't want to be unnecessarily pedantic but I have a "puck" version of the ASI120MM-S which is my most reliable hardware. The point is that the puck shape USB3 (also with -S designation) is still available. However, there are alternative "slim" versions but I believe that the shape is the only difference. At the end of the day you choose which shape suits your set up.
The old USB2 is virtually unusable in indi application in my experience (I bought one on special and ended up exchanging for the USB3).

Mike
3 years 7 months ago #58684

Mike,

Come to think of it, I have 2 puck shaped ASI120MC-S cameras and all other -S cameras I have used were puck shaped as well.

Wouter
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
3 years 7 months ago #58685

Have you tried using ekos polar alignment with this 25mm cctv setup? I'm working on that right now and didn't have luck with plate solving. I'm wondering if this will work with its algorithms still since the camera is in-line with the RA axis. 
2 years 1 month ago #81021

Have you tried using ekos polar alignment with this 25mm cctv setup? I'm working on that right now and didn't have luck with plate solving. I'm wondering if this will work with its algorithms still since the camera is in-line with the RA axis. 
2 years 1 month ago #81022

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.945 seconds