INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

What it the most popular way to run Astroberry - image solve and display?

• Thank you received: 50
I guess there hasn’t yet been a survey carried out on this. Just to say that my preferred way is to run everything on the Pi. I control and adjust things from either a Windows laptop PC via VNC Viewer and occasionally add an iPad into the mix, possibly running SkySafari Pro. I have the Pi image folder downloaded to the laptop, these days by VNC file transfer although I did have Syncthing running on both, a few weeks ago before I crashed my system after some unwelcome Pi Kernel updates. The regular downloading to the laptop PC lets me run SharpCap Pro for ‘live stacking’ on it so combining a bit of EAA with normal image capture.
By the way the great thing about the full Pi mode is that you can shut down the laptop and other monitoring devices or walk out of WiFi range without issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sebastien Ruel
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Avocette. Reason: Added afterthought.
3 years 6 months ago #59156

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I'm running full remote, INDI webserver, Ekos, and hopefully ccdCiel/Skychart, but at the moment EKOS and Kstars.

My camera is an SBIG STF-402, and I'm using a telescope simulator to take the place of a barndoor mount (homebrew).

However, when I try to focus at 1 sec updates, the screen freezes for several seconds... This occurs randomly.
I am using the astroberry hotspot .

Question, Is there a way to decrease the latency, by perhaps stopping certain processes that may be causing the delay in the update to my screen on the tablet?

Thanks
Pat Browne
3 years 6 months ago #59480

Hi Pat, i'm no expert, but for my setup I use 2 sec exposure in the Ekos Focus Menu tab; with Bin 2x2 (to reduce resolution), and click the 'Sub frame' (to see only the focus star).
---
ASI294MC, ES-ED0806, ZWO EAF, AVX mount, Astroberry RPi3b+, ASIAIR.
3 years 6 months ago #59499
Attachments:

Hi Sebastian,
Thanks for the tip - it certainly reduces the bandwidth load. 1 second, full frame was probably unrealistic!

Question related to the general topic - running Astroberry,
What is the easiest way to solve an image locally and display it in a planetarium program? Kstars doesn.t have that capability.
CDC (Skychart) definitely does - however it doesn't take images.

I'm wondering if I can script the solve and upload of a file to a planetarium program to get it to overlay in realtime?

Thanks
Pat
3 years 6 months ago #59516

• Thank you received: 8
Sebastien,

I use option B. Have real issues with my wifi, not just the Pi, but in my area. Any latency with the wifi can be problematic for me. I just run everyone on my Pi and use VNC. This does cause a limitation on space for files but I have been able to repurpose one of my 1TB USB external drives and mount it to the Pi so my pics get saved there and the bonus is that I then don't have network latency to deal with when importing them as I can use mount my drive on my processing laptop, and soon a proper workstation.
3 years 6 months ago #59519

• Thank you received: 69
When I am in my back garden. I run INDI server on the Pi4, with it connected via an Ethernet cable on my home network and I run Kstars and Ekos from the warmth of my house. All is powered via house AC via 12V regulated power supply.

I am planning on doing some remote astro in the future, at which point I would probably switch to using Kstars and Ekos on the Pi4.

The reasoning for this is that I can run the Pi4 off a battery, and conserve Laptop and Tablet power by only using VNC on the Laptop to set up and troubleshoot the scheduler session, and then only using VNC on the tablet to monitor the session progress, if an issue occurs I will bring the Laptop out of sleep mode, try and correct the issue and then revert back to the Tablet (View only). I can recharge the Tablet off the car adapter, don't have a recharge for the Laptop though, so would want to conserve its power as much as possible during the session.

Hoping that a PiJuice comes into stock soon, with a large battery, then I can use both the PiJuice battery and the Power Tank together to make sure that the Pi doesn't run out of power.
3 years 6 months ago #59523

• Thank you received: 375

KStars does have this capability ;-) Use offline astrometry engine for plate solving (index files must be downloaded), go to options in Ekos Align tab and enable feature called overlay.
Enjoy!
3 years 6 months ago #59641

Hi Kaczorek,
2 questions
1. Can you post a screen shot where to find the enable overlay, as well as a screenshot showing Kstars Planetarium with an image overlay s.v.p?
2. Can I script this with a python script - assuming kstars has an API for that?

merci
Pat
3 years 6 months ago #59653

• Thank you received: 375
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joaquin
3 years 6 months ago #59690
Attachments:

Thats a cool feature!
---
ASI294MC, ES-ED0806, ZWO EAF, AVX mount, Astroberry RPi3b+, ASIAIR.
3 years 6 months ago #59695

• Thank you received: 27
I am running Kstars, phd2, astrometry on top of Ubuntu 20.04 and KDE on 2GB RPi. Everything is running locally. I initiate session using PC over VNC and then monitor from tablet or phone.
All files are synced using syncthing, so I can preview the images on my PC using PI as soon as they are taken.
3 years 6 months ago #59714

Ignore post - need read more carefully, saw it was PI now.

What software are you using on the pc for previewing?

Rgds,
Geir

Sent fra min H9436 via Tapatalk
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by geirert.
3 years 5 months ago #61349

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.417 seconds