INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry crashes each time I run updater....

• Thank you received: 140
Hi,
I downloaded the latest AB yesterday and put on a new SD card, on my new 8gb RPI4, it worked fine, then I ran the updater, and there were a lot of updates, and it would not boot after that, so did it all three times and same every time, tried the card with SM and worked fine...so are there issues with the 8gb pi, and AB..? also I have the latest firmware with USB boot...

Advice please...
3 years 5 months ago #61990

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

I use the 4G model with Buster. For a time, a rash of updates would cause the device not to boot. I used my RPI3B+ with UBUNTU to fix file system privileges. I reviewed boot logs to find the ailing load process.
3 years 5 months ago #62000

Ok, I guess it’s just me then.... :(
3 years 5 months ago #62031

• Thank you received: 19
Hey Stewart...if you have not seen FB yet I can report that the new build on PI4 8GIG using Astroberry and 128g SD and also booting from 500g mSata vis USB3 all all good and stable - FULLY updated with Raspbian and I also built latest Kstars + stellarsolver on the PI. Have had no issues in over 24 hours of constant load testing (does anyone need that many darks :-) ).....I have started doing a diff of services running SM vs AB and the first that popped up was X11 was NOT running on the AB as it comes installed with VNCserver. That Boot issue we have both encountered I am starting to suspect was nothing to do with drives or size but more related to order of boot services and timing (perhaps via USB you get dragged a little as it is not the original way a PI knows to boot and there could be race condition there that gets triggered - or as I loved to troubleshoot years ago NIC and Graphics incompatibilities which at least in windows ended with BSD) - anyway - eventually I will start breaking the AB setup by turning on services to match SM until it dies -
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
3 years 5 months ago #62067

Hi Jamie
Yes I saw the posts..
I sorted both my SM and AB set ups out, it was a new boot loader update I needed, which was causing the issues...
I too have switched to AB and find it much more pleasing to use...it’s deffo faster on all accounts, and like you say the built in RealVNC sever is much quicker..but Jasem can’t include that in SM as it’s not allowed to be added when he is selling the software, hence why it can be added to AB as that is free...some licensing issues...
All in all very happy now, also AB works better with less lag over VNC with my 4k monitor...also am using a Samsung EVO 120gb SSD, so all good here... :):)
3 years 5 months ago #62083

• Thank you received: 1
Are you connecting directly to the 8GB Pi with a HDMI monitor, or are you connecting headless?

I tried installing Astroberry 2.0.3 on the Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB with a HDMI monitor attached. It crashed and froze every time. Then I installed it headless (connecting through SSH, noVNC, or VNC). Works like a charm. No problems doing updates.

I also have the latest firmware to boot from USB, but I couldn't get that to work, either.
3 years 5 months ago #62160

It was a headless set up, but sorted now, I had to do a firmware update for the latest boot loader...all good now... :)
3 years 5 months ago #62164

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.654 seconds