INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry Server on Raspberry Pi 4 with 64 bit OS, will this work?

• Thank you received: 17
I currently am running the Astroberry Server on a RPi 4 to control my mount and cameras (Celestron CGEM, ASI120MC and ASI533MC - all working well) for DSO imaging. I have been doing planetary imaging using ZWO's ASIStudio (which includes ASICAP) while Mars is in opposition and Uranus is high in the sky. To run ASIStudio I use my 64 bit Windows laptop because ASISTudio is not supported on an RPi with a 32 bit OS and EKOS does not seem to work well when you try to use all the features of the ASI533 such as ROI and reduced capture size for higher frame rate capture. As I understand it the RPi 4 is a 64 bit machine, but the standard Debian OS is 32 bit; however there is a Beta 64 bit Raspbian OS for the RPi 4. Does anyone know if I load the Beta 64 Bit Raspbian on my Rpi4 will I be able to install and run the Astroberry Server (I might hope that the 64-Bit OS would be backwards compatible with 32 bit programs) ? Further I would load the Linux 64 bit version of ASIStudio on the same RPi4 and use both programs to do planetary imaging. I have currently tried using OACapture to control the ASI533 and the Astroberry Server to control the mount and guide camera (ASI120MC) and that does work, but OACapture seems to have difficulty producing SER files with reduced ROI (or I have not figured out how to do it yet).

While my question is specifically about putting the Astroberry Server on an RPi4 with a 64 bit OS, I am open to suggestions on how to better use the EKOS/OACapture combination with my ASI533 camera for Planetary imaging.

thanks,
Ron
3 years 4 months ago #63094

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 69

I don't think Astroberry has arm64 builds enabled, there would not be any benefit from running arm64. If Astroberry is released with 64-bit builds then you might find that you have a slight advantage if using a Pi4 with 8GB RAM, meaning that a single process could allocate more than 4GB of RAM to itself.

If you run arm64 build on the Pi4, you will still not be able to run ASIStudio, as it is built for x86_64, not arm64 (last I checked).

So, at this time, there isn't much benefit for most users, and only a marginal benefit for users of the 8GB RAM version of the Pi4B.
3 years 4 months ago #63108

• Thank you received: 17
Thanks, that is just the information I was trying to find out. It is a shame as ASIstudio does make it easy to take advantage of the ZWO camera capabilities for planerary imaging. Perhaps need to look into a mini-PC to run both on. I was able to get Oacapture to work with a reduced field size, but it still only ran at 4 frames per second on the laptop ASIstudio ran at least 2-3 times faster than tha. That may be more the limitation of the Rpi than Oacapture, not sure. I am using a powered USB 3.0 hub on the Rpi 4 which seems to be working well otherwise.

thanks,
3 years 4 months ago #63134

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.280 seconds