INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Cannot fix WiFi connection instability issues

• Thank you received: 0
So I’ve got a USB WiFi adapter with a big antenna connected to my RP4. I’ve got my router with 5 big antennas on it - broadcasting my 2.4G wireless n network - sitting in my window sill behind glass about 15 feet away.

It is so unstable that it’s unusable in this setup. The latency is insane, KStars crashes constantly, commanding the mount to move more than 25 degrees using the directional buttons on the Ekos mount control causes Kstars to crash and the entire VNC session to terminate.

How is anyone actually able to use Astroberry? Surely you’re all just using the wired Ethernet connection, right? I mean, are you using Kstars on a remote machine with the remote INDI drivers, rather than controlling Kstars on the RPI itself?
Mount: Skywatcher EQM-35 Pro
Main Imager: ZWO 183MC Uncooled
Guider1: SSAG (Retired)
Guider2: ZWO 120mm mini
Telescope: Celestron 6” SCT with Hyperstar
3 years 3 months ago #63781

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41
I’m using RP4 and Astroberry since September without problems. I’m using the internal WiFi , running KStars on the RP4 and controlling all the stuff via VNC from an iPad. My setup is a little more complex:

* OnStep controller using a ESP8266 micro as a WiFi AccessPoint

* The RP4 connects to OnStep AP

* iPad connects to OnStep AP

I’ve an ASI120MM , CanonEOS 40D and sometimes a QHY5III462C for planetary imaging. All of them connected directly to the RP4 (USB 2 and USB 3 ports)

I use a 67W power bank to feed all the equipment.

With this setup I’m able to image and guide for hours without problems.

One thing to consider: my RP4 enclosure is made of plastic, not metal that will block the WiFi signal. Also, I’m controlling ir from a ver sort distance.
3 years 3 months ago #63785

• Thank you received: 16
I actually cheat a bit. I use a HDMI wireless bridge for the monitor and a logitech wireless keyboard/mouse, so all the "heavy lifting" bandwidth-wise stays on the Pi. No laptop. No network traffic.

I have also had reasonable success putting a small wireless router on the scope and wiring the Pi to it on its own network and then connecting a laptop to that network via WiFi. Then VNC has a much better chance as the router will buffer better than a straight wireless adapter.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Jon Carleton.
3 years 3 months ago #63825

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds