INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry is s.....l.....o.......w

• Thank you received: 0
I’ve recently begun using a raspberry pi 4 and astroberry with my IPad. I have a 64 gig sd card, and am slowing beginning to understand the various programs, but God the touch responses take forever and screens move like molasses.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
3 years 2 months ago #65175

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 50
Just a few questions to fill in some gaps in your posting, assuming that you are running astroberry 2.0.3 and that your OS and astroberry have been brought up to the latest versions with sudo apt update followed by sudo apt upgrade (or if necessary sudo apt full-upgrade).

Which model of RPi4 are you using?
Which model of iPad?
Are you using the browser interface or VNC?
Are you working in Hotspot mode?
How far apart are the units?

They should set the baseline information so that we can come back with suggestions....
3 years 2 months ago #65187

• Thank you received: 140
3 years 2 months ago #65197

Yikes, I’m so new I’m unsure but here goes:

1. 【Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB Starter Kit】 4GB RAM Motherboard, New SOC Broadcom BCM2711, quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit at 1.5GHz. Capable of supporting HEVC 4K streams at 60 fps and managing 2 screens in 4K.

2. iPad Pro 12.9 inch, third gen

3. Vnc shows up in the upper right hand corner

4. Using either wifi with my home router, or Ethernet with about the same apparent result

5. When using wifi, and a wifi usb dongle, various near and far distances have been tries with the same apparent result.

I should add I also have an asiair pro, and using it in direct mode it is fast, with all commands and displays being immediate.

Thanks
3 years 2 months ago #65202

As for the display resolution, I haven’t a clue....
3 years 2 months ago #65203

First things first - your ASIAir Pro is basically a 4GB RPi4 running similar software so you shouldn’t be seeing much speed difference if you use the Astroberry RPi in similar conditions. There is a difference in the user interfaces but we should be able to eliminate their effects.
I suggest you first try running the astroberry RPi as a WiFi hotspot. You may need to change the priority given to the home WLAN connection, or just go some distance away from the house. You could also force the astroberry hotspot to use the 5GHz WiFi band while you’re editing the WiFi connections.
While you have an Internet connection, download to your iPad Pro the VNC Viewer App. Then outside click on settings and find the astroberry hotspot. Connect to it (with astroberry as the password). Now open VNC viewer. You will need to set up the connection with IP address 10.42.0.1 and astroberry password again. You should then see a part of the astroberry desktop screen on your iPad. The screen default is 1920x1080 pixels so you can view the whole width at reduced height or most of the screen at full height. You could set up the RPi to give you a 4x3 aspect ratio to match your iPad display as an alternative approach.
My guess is that you will get a really rapid response and control of the functions this way - I think your present problems may lie with the home WLAN connections you have tried so far.
In my case I progressed from using my iPad as the control interface in favour of my laptop which has a 1920x1080 pixel screen and most importantly a full keyboard and trackpad. There are ways of performing the same functions with the soft keyboard and soft mouse in VNC Viewer on the iPad, but usually requiring multiple sequences of screen clicks rather than a direct key touch.
3 years 2 months ago #65219

Wow, this is a HUGE time sink. Hotspot is fast, but has no internet connection. Really not worth the effort for me. Thanks for trying to help. Asiair pro is so much better for what I need.
3 years 2 months ago #65228

• Thank you received: 41
I’m using RP4 with Astroberry via VNC from an iPad for two months now and it’s a very powerful setup. I connect the RP4 to my 2.4Ghz home network and the response time is very tolerable (it doesn’t interfere with my workflow). But I think that Maritim is the kind of user for who Asiair Pro is a better solution.

I know, inside is the same hardware and almost the same software but there is a big difference: the user don’t interact with this software. Instead he uses a native mobile app running on his powerful phone/table and only the needed data is sent from and to the RP4. This reduces some orders of magnitude de amount of data that must be transferred. Also, the user’s taps never leave his device giving him a felling of speed and feedback that VNC never will provide.

I love the control that a full Ekos provides to me, but I miss a lot the ASIAir client interface.

Rafa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette
3 years 2 months ago #65233

I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK....
3 years 2 months ago #65237

I understand and agree - the learning curve for running an RPi with KStars etc does benefit from time spent on the Raspberry Pi itself. I happened to start my learning journey in October 2018 with an RPi3B+, very much for experimental uses and not connected with astrophotography at all. I had 6 months of general experimentation behind me when I suddenly discovered that you could use the RPi3B+ to run astro software, control a mount and do polar alignment which was a wonderful revelation. Then came the RPi4 and initially AstroPi3 scripts with Ubuntu 16.04 and then suddenly Astroberry 2 on Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS. During the summer I had a number of USB issues which coincided with the upgrading of the RPi Kernel from 4.19 to 5.4, which was initially frustrating, but as time has gone on I have found a couple of workarounds so I am no longer wasting image capturing time on clear nights. I am very impressed with the Astroberry package and feel very grateful for all of the wonderful development work put in by so many enthusiastic and expert people.
3 years 2 months ago #65238

You fell into the astroberry 1hr trap
1 year 4 months ago #88073

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.648 seconds