INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Hardware Question

• Thank you received: 0

Hardware Question was created by Jason

I apologize up front for being a long question but want to make sure everything is checked off so there is no follow up questions. I just found Astroberry a couple of days ago, downloaded and installed on a RPi 3B+ headless. I successfully connected via VNC and successfully connected my Svbony SV105 to said Pi. Now that I can go completely wireless I am going to attach this rig to my Celestron Nexstar 102SLT. The handset of the telescope has the old RJ6 connector and I have the RS-232 to RJ6 cable I used to connect to an old laptop. I am planning on buying a RS-232 to USB converter. My question is does the RS-232 to USB cable matter? In doing research I saw there are different chipsets and I want to make sure I am getting the correct one. Once again I apologize for the long post and thank you all in advance.
3 years 3 months ago #66344

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by TuxAstro on topic Hardware Question

Hi D4rk,

Clearly, the best way is to ask to your nearest astronomy store ...
3 years 3 months ago #66359

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic Hardware Question

I've often used these ones on my laptop to connect to network equipment.

www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-USB-Serial...lific/dp/B00GRP8EZU/

On the Raspberry Pi these will usually show up as a device most easily accessed via /dev/serial/by-id/<id-of-device>

I'd recommend using that path, rather than the /dev/ttyUSB0x devices, as they are consistent after each reboot, and don't move around (if, like me, you have 3-4 serial devices on the Pi).
3 years 3 months ago #66380

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds