INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Legacy Polar Alignment, not working

• Thank you received: 7
Hi,
I got my Astroberry system to work the last days.

Astroberry Version 2.0.3 (and updated)
Lens 300 mm f/4
Camera Canon 6D
Mount HEQ5
Plate solve, installed all ref maps it asked for

From my balcony I can't see the polar star and normally use the PHD2 (Windows and Astroberry) and drift align. Now I want to test Ekos Legacy Polar Alignment function. It miss a couple of degrees and is not stable.

Example, I have already polar aligned the mount with PHD2 drift align to +/- 5' error of Latitude.

Then I use "Legacy Polar Alignment function". First time I run it for Latitude error/adjustment it says the error is 8 degres, next time 4 degree and third almost spot on. Never changed anything to the to latitude or anything else.

It's pointing to East and DEC about +10 degree. If I try to adjust the Azimuthal it behave about the same. Is it a problem because of my short focal length or is the function new and not fully working ?

/Lars
2 years 10 months ago #70845

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
Lars,

Why not try the standard polar alignment, as opposed to the legacy one? Assuming your Astroberry is using KStars 3.5.2 or later, the polar alignment scheme does not need a view of the pole anymore. In theory you can point anywhere, though I'd guess it's best to start on one side of the Meridian, and slew down from that side. E.g. use KStars to slew the mount to just West  of the Meridian, and then set up polar alignment to go West in two 30-degrees slews. If you don't have 60-degrees of view, from there then reduce it to two 20-degree slews, or whatever. I'll be that will work for you. 

Hy
2 years 10 months ago #70857

Hi,
Yes that's my version, should be the latest.

My observation place at home is a sad place. I have two small windows to observe through.
AZ 15 to 100, DEC 10 to 55
and
AZ 165 to 185, DEC 20 to 55

That's all and it is Bortle class 9.

The drift aligne method has always worked. But when I saw the Legacy Polar Alignment in KStars I thought it must be a faster method that I can use later when my equipment is ready for out on the field work. Is it something wrong with the Legacy Polar Alignment function ?

Thanks for answer and tips.

Lars
2 years 10 months ago #70908

I haven't used the legacy polar alignment. If it works for you, by all means use that. I was just suggesting that you try the recently developed polar alignment scheme, since you seem to be having issues polar aligning.

If you can find an arc in the sky, where you pick a starting point, then just move in declination for, say, 40-degrees, and that entire arc is visible through your window, then the recent scheme should work, whether or not you can view the northern celestial pole.
2 years 10 months ago #70909

Later when I'm out on the field I will try your sugested method and the others to find out which of them are fastest and reabile. Thank you a lot for the information, I shall test it from the balcony later too.

From your photo it looks that you too travel to your favorite observing places. What's the total weight of your equipment and how big battery do you have ?

I'm thinking of replacing my lead battery 45 Ah and 74 Ah with some Lithium battery, maybe 20 Ah will be enough with my new power efficient equipment.

/Lars
2 years 10 months ago #70911

I guess my pic is misleading. I've only traveled a few times where I've needed batteries.
I built a couple lead-acid marine-battery-based boxes to power my equipment back in 2019, but only used them a couple times.
I'd recommend you start a new thread on the battery topic.

Hy
2 years 10 months ago #70912

Hi,
It's working better and better. But there is something with the auto guiding calibration that look strange to me.

First time I start Guide it do a calibration process. Many times it fails. When looking at the calibration plot it looks like it has only moved a couples of pixels. Shouldn't it move something like 50 pixels at least ? I can't see where I adjust this, or is it automatic ?

This is with the built in guider, when using PHD2 it works as it should, I'm used with PHD2 from my other setup which is a Windows machine.

I have attached a screen dump.

/Lars

2 years 10 months ago #71471
Attachments:

You can adjust the calibration in the options menu (bottom right corner of the guider tab). 
Then click on the calibration tab (upper left) and you'll see a number of options.
For my mount, I use a pulse of 1000 ms and 10 iterations--it'll normally quit well before 10 iterations,  if it's moved about 15 pixels.
2 years 10 months ago #71535

Thanks for the information, I will try that next time we have a clear sky, but it's summer now and not very dark up here.

/Lars
2 years 10 months ago #71677

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.482 seconds