INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry Capture Fail Help & Plate solve help

• Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

I've had two recurring issues with Astroberry and I've run out of ideas on how to resolve the issues.

I'm using a Pi 4b.  The mount is a CEM60, the scope is a TMB130SS with a focal length of 910mm. The main camera I am using is a Canon 60da.

When trying to capture an image, often times I will get a "capture fail" message in the dialogue box.  The capture fail occurs at the end of the exposure. Doesn't matter about the length of the exposure either. Two nights ago while testing in my house I had zero capture fail issues. I took about 30 exposures with no issue. Last night while attempting to image I would get a capture fail every third try.

I've attempted two different drivers as well as using a two second delay in the mirror lock tab. This is what the driver info says for both under general info in the indi control panel for the camera.

Name: GPhoto CCD     or  GPhoto CCD
Exec: indi_canon_ccd  or indi_gphoto_ccd
Version: 3.0   (same for both) 
Interface: 10 (same for both)

Also autoshut off is turned off on my camera and I believe the cable connecting the camera to the Pi unit is good too. I used it a few weeks ago with a computer running BackyardEOS

So I'm really not sure what else to do.

So for the plate solving I am trying to run it offline as the online version always times out. I've downloaded all the suggested files per Ekos as well. When I capture & solve the program times out. The error message either displays times  out after so many seconds or last night it said it times out after -214748648 seconds ( in reality it stopped working after 3 seconds)

I believe the field of view is correct, but I'm not 100% sure.  Per its calculations the field of view is 431.8' x 183.2'.  When I do an online field of view calculator it says the field of view is 1.41 x 0.94 degrees.

And the online conversion from degrees to minutes gives me 84.6 x 56.4 minutes. So something isn't right or most likely I am doing something wrong.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help!

Zach

2 years 10 months ago #70884

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 21
Can you use gphoto for taking images?
indi uses shutter open and shutter close on my Nikon for exposures longer than 1s. It fails for smaller exposures. So what exposure time do you use?
What exactly is the failure? Does the shutter not open at all? Is it not closed in time?

What would I have to do to reproduce this? Maybe this helps others with a Canon so that they can tell what's wrong.
2 years 10 months ago #70932

I believe gphoto ca be used to take images.

It seems that most of the fails happen under 30 second exposure. It fails at the end. So the camera shutter opens, and the countdown begins for the exposure. After it hits 0 seconds, the dialogue box will say "recapture #1" So something at the end of the exposure is causing the issue.

I think I will try taking a bunch of 60s exposures (that is my normal exposure length) and see what happens. I can attempt this tonight when I'm home from work.
2 years 10 months ago #70946

Anyone else have any ideas as to what my issues may be?
2 years 10 months ago #70996

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.750 seconds