INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY CCD cooling knocks out synscan - SOLVED!

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Team,

I recently purchased a QHY CCD and filter wheel. Finally got filters installed into the wheel and everything was talking to each other UNTIL  I turn on the cooling for the CCD.
When I do, the synscan mount drops out and I get repeated error message.
Serial Write Error. Write Error, input/output error
I thought it was because I am using a deep cycle battery and perhaps draining too much power when starting cooling, so I plugged the CCD into mains power but the issue still happens.
Any advice or suggestions?
Much appreciated
2 years 8 months ago #73959

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

That appears to be a classical "power" issue. Make sure your power supply can supply enough juice & stable voltage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: River
2 years 8 months ago #73961

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Jasem,
I thought so too, so I plugged the rpi into mains and the CCD into main power as well, expecting there to be enough 'juice'
All devices turn on and talk to ekos, but as soon as I turn on the cooling for the CCD the Pi briefly looses power - knocking the keyboard and mouse out and then the tracking on the mount turns off. Keyboard and mouse come back online but not tracking and I can not change any settings of the mount.
I tried with the mount plugged into mains next - and again, all devices are all fine until I turn on the cooling. The Pi dips in power (even though the Pi and the CCD or mount are plugged into mains) and causes keyboard, mouse and goto mount to briefly loose power, which knocks tracking out.
I have tried plugging in the devices into alternate USB ports, but still the same issue persists when turning cooling on.
Anyone have any suggestions? 
I have no hair left to pull out... 
Thinks in advance

Thanks everyone for taking the time to message. I have fixed my issue by connecting everything BUT the filter wheel. If I get cooling on the CCD and goto tracking and THEN plug USB cable into filter wheel, scan for ports and connect - it seems to work.

Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by River.
2 years 7 months ago #73974

if you run journalctl -f while this is happening, any interesting messages there? I can't imagine the USB for the camera is causing this havoc.
2 years 7 months ago #73975

• Thank you received: 1
How many watts is the power supply rated for?
2 years 7 months ago #73976

• Thank you received: 140
Hmmmmm, yet another serial port connection issue, these are getting more and more common….unfortunately I can’t offer any help, I have major serial port issues of my own…..:(
2 years 7 months ago #73977

• Thank you received: 20
Hi,
How do you connect to Rpi ? If you're using wifi, you need to check frequency.
I have a setup with qhy183C and using eqmod without problems (connect to rpi by usb)

Regards,

Ouioui
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by ouioui01.
2 years 7 months ago #73985

Time to create page: 0.368 seconds