INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Lodestar X2 (icx829) problems

• Thank you received: 4
Hello
I am still fighting with my setup to get everything working right. Yesterday I've had quite bad feeling about my lodestar x2 camera after seeing first light.
Setup:
Lodestar x2 mono + canon 200/2.8 lens
Indiserver/linux + AstroImager/OS X (I have also tried Ekos - issue appeared again)
The problem is that from each bright star there is a strange horizontal bar with white and black lines - You can see that on the attached picture. Peter has informed me that it could be blooming effect. As I have understood what blooming is it was still quite strange because the effect is evident even on exposures as low as 0.5s.

I have contacted StarlightXpress and they have told me that it is just a matter of settings (they didn't mention blooming problem) and if I would use Maxim this can be fixed by turning in advanced setting on " swap even/odd rows " - below mentioned setting in maxim along with all recommended.

Now of course the question is how can I change this setting in indiserver?
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Krzysztof.
8 years 2 months ago #6857
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 46
Hi Chris.

it looks like my Lodestar x2, I use 2x2 binning to get rid of those lines, I think it haves something to do with interlacing but not shure about that.

Br.
/Markku
8 years 2 months ago #6858

Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried different binning but i will at next opportunity. Anyway i would really like to use it in 1x1.
8 years 2 months ago #6860

• Thank you received: 46
I guess using 1x1 binning should also give somewhat better guiding, last time I tried 1x1 I got terrible guiding :(
8 years 2 months ago #6866

No guiding 2x2 is the best option.
8 years 2 months ago #6871

Anyone knows how to solve my problem? Starlight Xpress informed me that this is software side settings.
8 years 2 months ago #6882

• Thank you received: 174
Hi Chris, just for sure - did you tried it with MAXIM and did it fix the issue? As far as I do understand those settings, venetian blind correction can remove the structure from the bright horizontal line, but not the line itself.

BTW, what will happen, if you will connect Lodestar directly to Mac and use built-in AstroImager driver? I used slightly different approach to interleaving handling in this code.

0.5s can be enough for blooming, red pixel in AstroImager preview means overexposure and there are some in the center of the bright star in your image.

Peter
8 years 2 months ago #6886

No I haven't tried Maxim - I do not have one. I am planning to connect it directly, hopefully today evening or if i will be able to simulate some star picture at home.
I got some news from StarlightXpress. First they have told me that the word "vertical" in "vertical anti blooming" statement has nothing to do with direction on the image, it relates to charge being dissipated down into the chip substrate. They say that almost certainly this issues are caused by USB transfer delay problems - I will investigate this with different approaches (This would also explain why Maxer is getting proper results with 2x2 binning).
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Krzysztof.
8 years 2 months ago #6887

I think Maxim has some kind of trial license, if you have some windows on board, you can try it.
8 years 2 months ago #6888

Thanks Peter, I didn't knew there is trial - i have signed for one and will try it later.
So far I have made a few 0.1s pictures with my fancy artificial star :)

1. AstroImager 2.0 on OS X with locally connected Lodestar x2 mono

2. AstroImager 2.0 on OS X with remotely connected Lodestar x2 mono - indiserver on RPi

3. Ekos on Linux (virtual machine) with remotely connected Lodestar x2 mono - indiserver on RPi

4. StarlightLive 2.1 on OS X with locally connected Lodestar x2 mono

5. StarlightLive 2.1 on Windows 2012r2 with remotely connected Lodestar x2 mono - usbip on RPi

So there is only one thing left to do - test it with more software options since it looks like it is software related.
8 years 2 months ago #6889

Yes, it seems, that there is a clear difference between (1, 2, 3) and (4, 5). Now the question is, if it is different readout or different processing.
8 years 2 months ago #6890

So answer is different processing :-) Problem is deinterlacing routine and once removed, it is much better... Fixed in revision 2681. Peter

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gerry Rozema, Krzysztof
8 years 2 months ago #6891
Attachments:

Time to create page: 3.205 seconds