INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Very limited dynamic range on QHY163M

• Thank you received: 4
Hello everyone,
I managed to get my QHY163M camera working with INDI after copying fxload from the SDK into my /usr/sbin folder. Now everything seems to work, but the images I'm getting from it look like they have a very limited dynamic range: pixels can only be on some certain ADU values and as a result my files look suspiciously homogenous in the background (and don't go very high, too, max around 256).
This is one dark (FITS file, 600s @ -20C).
Is this normal? Am I missing something simple in the settings? Or is this weird? And could the fxload replacement manip be the reason for this?
Thank you for your help.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Adrien Barrajon.
2 years 6 months ago #75181

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6
This sounds weird. fxload is only used to deliver firmware blob to the camera on startup. I'm on Ubuntu focal and INDI driver for QHY worked out of the box without updating fxload. I'm using the one from distro:
fxload 1.0~201712271246~ubuntu18.04.1 amd64
Which distro are you using? Also which architecture? I had issues trying to use the camera on RPi4.
2 years 6 months ago #75278

• Thank you received: 20
Hi Adrien,

Did you try to change offset value of the camera (your dark is captured with gain 10 and offset 0) ?
I don't have this camera, it's just a suggestion.
Check also in kstars fits settings if non linear histogram is checked or not .

Clear skies,
ouioui
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by ouioui01.
2 years 6 months ago #75281

• Thank you received: 4
Thank you all for your answers, and sorry for wasting your time... This was just me playing for the first time with a camera that allows you to modify gain and offset. I played a bit with these settings and ended up with images that look a lot more like what they should!
2 years 6 months ago #75552

Time to create page: 0.661 seconds