INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon lens with QHY camera: how to set aperture?

• Thank you received: 8
Hi all

I'm currently setting up a new configuration for wide field photography. Also this configuration should be as small and transportable as possible.
I want to use one of my Canon lenses connected at my (soon arriving) QHY600 color CMOS. I have several lenses but I don't know yet which one will be the best performer. I think that my Canon RF 70-200 f2.8 will be the first choice.
The mount is a iOptron tracker and with the zoom capabilities of the lens I can use a focal length that is ok for the tracker, I hope that I can use it up to 150mm and 1 minute exposure but I have to test how precise the tracker will perform.

Now my question. Does anyone know how I can set the aperture of the lens? I believe that the lens is always at f2.8 if it is not connected to a camera body. Can I set the aperture with the Canon camera connected and then after removing the lens from the body this aperture is still kept? Let's say I have the lens connected to my R5 and set aperture to f3.5 and then remove the lens from the R5, will then the aperture stay at f3.5?

Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

Thomas

2 years 1 month ago #80705

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
See
. I have not used the trick for years, but I checked it with a current lens/body combo and it still works.
Regards
Tim
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thomas Pfenninger
2 years 1 month ago #80718

thank you Tim, now I know how to set the aperture manually. In my case (using the Canon's RF mount) I simply do the following:
- With the lens attached to the Canon R5 and the camera powered on I set the aperture to f3.5
- I do not switch off the camera
- I remove the lens from the Canon R5 (Canon advises against doing this as the sensor is unprotected with the Camera powered and the lens removed)
- The lens keeps the aperture of f3.5 after it was removed from the camera body

Needless to say, I remove the lens very carefully and cover the sensor immediately with the cap.

Regards
Thomas
2 years 1 month ago #80750

• Thank you received: 0
I am also trying to use my Canon RF lenses with my QHY-600 Color camera. Could you tell me what connecter did you use to connect your Canon RF lens QHY-600? I am not able to find this information on QHY site.
Thanks.
1 year 5 months ago #87429

At the time I bought the camera I was in touch with people from QHY and they told me that there is no way to attach a RF lens to the QHY600, maybe this has changed in the mean time, you have to check this with QHY.

---
Avalon EvoZero Mount
QHYCCD600C@Sigma 135mm, f/2.8
QHY-5LII@WilliamOptions 50mm GuideScope
Pegasus FocusCube2, Pegasus PowerBox v2
1 year 5 months ago #87461

Time to create page: 0.349 seconds