INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon 350D shutter release problems

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Now I've just received a shutter release cable to use with my Canon 350D. But it does still not produce more than 30 sec picutres.

I have the shutter release and serial-USB (FTDI)-converter attached, and a separate USB cable as usual for image download. I set the port for shutter release to /dev/ttyUSB0, that according to dmesg should be where the FTDI-cable is. No errors or problems.

I start Indi and connect devices - all green. The shutter release setting in the Main tab in Indi is empty, so I type in /dev/ttyUSB0, and click Set I get a green light.

THe camera is set to M, and the shutter speed turned to Bulb, as shown in the small LCD window on the camera.

Taking an exposure with 10 secs works nicely. And taking 30 secs. Doing any of these, the exporure time I set in Ekos is shown on the camera as the exposure is taken.

But turning to 45 secs, ti turns to 30" again. And the shutter is closed after 30 secs.

There is a setting in the Settings tab in Ekos, where mode is set to M, and I can set "bulb". However, not change in behavior.

Once the camera did show "bulb" instead, however, the shutter did not close at all, and I had to turn it off after a few miutes. Ihave not been able to repeat it.

Attached is a debug file. Anyone knows what I am doing wrong here?

Magnus
8 years 4 days ago #7406
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi!

Well. Now it works. I've been playing around a bit, but cannot say that I see that something is changed. But now suddenly it works. I can take longer exposures...

Magnus
8 years 23 hours ago #7455

• Thank you received: 2
Good morning Magnus,

I have exactly the same problem with my laptop.
The camera is set to "M" and "bulb".
USB cable and shutter cable connected to the camera.
Recording started with 40 seconds.
When you start recording, the camera suddenly shows 30 "instead of" bulb ". The camera records 30 seconds, the computer counts down from 40 seconds.
The recording is only 30 seconds.

The shutter cable with the USB adapter works perfectly on the PC and the Raspberry Pi and I can expose for longer than 30 seconds.

I deleted / uninstalled kstars-bleeding and all the config files on the laptop and reinstalled everything without success.
I cannot find the error in the settings.
If you managed to get it to work, then it can only be due to the settings, only where ???

Any idea ?

greeting
Thomas
3 years 5 months ago #61042

Hi!

Do I get it right that the shutter release works as expected on the R-Pi and another Linux computer, but not on your laptop?

In that case, it must be a matter of software on the laptop, I'd think. What system do you run on the laptop then?

My first idea would be that the shutter release is not correctly identified on the laptop - either the driver is missing or it is not corretcly set up in Indi. Check in the Indi control panel which USB device is identified as the shutter release and which is identified as the camera.

Magnus
3 years 5 months ago #61051

Hello Magnus,

Sorry I forgot to mention the relevant data.
The OS runs on the laptop Kubuntu 20.04
It's the same version as on the PC.
I installed Raspian (Buster) on the Raspberry PI 4.

Kstars and INDI come from Jasems ppa and are up to date.
They are the same as on the PC.
Kstars = Build: 2020-08-28T23: 44: 14Z
Indi = INDI Library: 1.8.6

Yes, the shutter cable runs smoothly on the Raspberry and the PC.
The EOS 350 also registers as the EOS 350.
I created a UDEV rule for the shutter cable and my EQ6. The shutter adapter is /dev/eos_shutter
The EQ6 adapter is called /dev/monti_eq6.

I can't get to the devices at the moment.
When I get back to the laptop, I will attach an Indi Log.

Thomas
3 years 5 months ago #61053

Hello Magnus,

I'm sorry if I only get around to testing it now.
Strangely, it works on the laptop now. I just have no idea why that is. I haven't done anything on the laptop.
It works even after restarting it several times and plugging the cables back and forth.
So the way it looks everything is fine. Thank you :)

greeting
Thomas
3 years 5 months ago #61100

Time to create page: 0.828 seconds