INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Unable to connect to ZWO CCD

• Thank you received: 0
Tonight was my first attempt and it did not go well. I can not seem to connect EKOS and see ZWO CCD in the Indi Control Panel. The Capture window in Ekos is also grayed out.

I'm using a Linux mini PC to run Indi Server at the scope with the client being an iMac in the house. Connections are WiFi.

I am able to open a browser window on the client and start Indi Server no problem. I have loaded drivers Pegasus UPB, LX 200 10Micron, ZWO CCD, ASI EFW, ASI EAF, and SkySafari.

When I start Ekos I am able to see all devices in the Indi Control Panel - except for the imaging camera.

The imaging camera is physically connected to the Pegasus UPB with a USB3 cable and a 12V power cable. The TEC fan is heard, the camera is definitely getting power. And I see .17A current draw in the Pegasus window.

I have tried changing out the USB3 cable to other USB3 ports on the Pegasus and mini PC. I have also tried the new USB3 cable that came with the Pegasus.

Ideas?
1 year 6 months ago #86331
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So even if connected *directly* to the miniPC running Linux, the cameras are NOT detected?
1 year 6 months ago #86335

I have not attempted to launch KStars/Ekos from the mini pc, I will do this morning.
1 year 6 months ago #86340

I connected a keyboard, mouse, monitor to the mini pc and tried to launch KStars from there.

KStars launched successfully. When I entered the Ekos module the following error message was received:

Unable to find INDO server. Please make sure the package that provides 'indiserver' binary is installed

This is very confusing to me, I did a what I thought was a full install. How can I see anything at all from the iMac client if that is not already installed?
1 year 6 months ago #86342

• Thank you received: 42
I don't recognise INDO perhaps it is INDI? As you say indiserver should be installed: ls -l /usr/bin/indiserver.
I had assumed connect the camera directly meant connect a usb cable directly between the miniPC and the camera, not via Pegasus UPB to rule that out.

I have had similar symptoms with the ASI camera, but having difficulty remembering specifically how it got resolved.
Sometimes the linux USB assignment seem to get hung up in some way. I assume you have rebooted the miniPC.

Then I would define a new Ekos profile with minimal equipment and disconnect the usb cables for the unused equipment. Perhaps just the mount and the camera. Reboot miniPC and see if the camera comes up. If it does add back in the removed peripherals.
1 year 6 months ago #86343

I created a "skinny" profile named Orange. Just the Pegasus UPB, mount, and camera.

Essentially the same result. I can see the Pegasus and 10Micron in the Indi Control Panel. Camera missing.

Note in the main Ekos window the connection to Indi server is successful, though the mount often takes a few minutes to connect.

Screen shots in attached, notice in the background I have used the Safari browser to start Indi Web Manager and the server is online.
1 year 6 months ago #86344
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 42
Do not have anything of much use to suggest. Can you determine if the CCD driver starts up and runs prior to attempting to connect to it? Is it failing to start, crashing when attempting to connect or just siting there unresponsive? If you still have the terminal connected or can ssh over to the miniPC:
ps -ef | grep indi to see if it is running.

Anything of interest in the KStars or indi logs?
Not familiar with webmanager but running the indiserver directly one can have it generate a log file.
Is it required to run the Pegasus for some reason, are you still connecting the camera through it. If for power, you could test the camera without the cooler. For the mount you could use a simulator. Just try to get recognised connecting to different hubs and a reboot.
1 year 6 months ago #86346

A friend advised me to check/update everything and provided the commands. I connected a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the mini pc and updated with these commands:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding
sudo apt-get install indi-asi

On the mini pc I was able to launch KStars and start Ekos. However, I kept getting a message the the ZWO CCD driver crashed each time I tried to load it.

On the iMac in the office, no change. Still see all of the drivers in the Indi Control Panel except the ZWO CCD driver.
1 year 6 months ago #86356

• Thank you received: 28
Hi Jeff,

I have a setup similar to yours and haven't been having problems with the ZWO cameras I use for imaging and guiding. I was looking closely at your Indi Web Manager screen shots and yours indicates that it is 'Beta 5 INDI Web Manager'. Mine shows 'SM Web Manager'. I'm using a standard release installation of StellarMate installed on a RPi at the scope but am controlling it from a Mac (I've been using a wired connection after many frustrating experiences/experiments with RPi WiFi). Could there be an issue with the Beta build?
1 year 6 months ago #86365

• Thank you received: 160

Replied by Alfred on topic Unable to connect to ZWO CCD

For testing purposes you should connect the camera to the Mini PC directly, without any USB hub involved. Start indiserver on the Mini PC: "indiserver -v indi_asi_ccd". The indiserver should start with some verbose output. (If it fails, what's the output of "lsusb" command?) Now you can connect to the indiserver either from your Mac or from a locally running KStars/Ekos instance on your Mini PC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff Morgan
1 year 6 months ago #86373

Time to create page: 1.807 seconds