INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

DSLR HDMI output capture with Ekos- to increase capture size for planetary video

• Thank you received: 2
DSLR HDMI output capture with Ekos (to increase capture size)

Is there a way to interact with a USB video capture device in Ekos? The resolution available over the camera USB connection is too low. (640x320)
Anyone doing this?
Thx
1 year 3 months ago #88818

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
Well not enough interest to get any replies I see. I have set up my DSLR with an Elgato Cam Link 4 and made some progress on this.
First I spent some time getting ffmpeg to capture via the command line from an HDMI cable connected to the camera. The USB cable connection will only output 640x320.
The Elgato device is software agnostic. I used VideoLan's VLC Media Player to find which /dev/video? device to use. For me that is /dev/video4. This is all done on a linux machine, although a Mac would be similar. The ffmpeg command line I used is:

ffmpeg -video_size 3840x2160 -input_format rawvideo -framerate 30 -i /dev/video4 -an output2.avi

I tried to encode straight to output.ser as SER files are the default for Siril to spit out fits files. That would not work so I tried the above. Siril will ask to convert the .avi to .ser.
This worked like a charm in testing. I then opened up Siril, converted to fit image files and verified the 3840x2160 image size.
Next I tried doing this in Ekos and only had success with 1920x1080. >>>This is when I had both the Nikon DSLR driver and the indi webcam_ccd driver loaded. In other words, a cable to the USB port of the camera and another HDMI cable. This was with the Nikon camera as the main camera and the HDMI video driver as the auxillary driver to it.

However, when I used the webcam ccd driver alone as the main camera, I successfully controlled capture from within Ekos.
Still more testing to do such as using the Disconnect button for the Nikon driver before attempting capture over HDMI.

Anybody else doing this?
B
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
1 year 3 months ago #89150

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.357 seconds